[SOLVED] Is there a proper way to benchmark Pagefiles?

Genralkidd

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2013
This is more of a curiosity experiment than an practical attempt to substitute RAM with larger pagefiles, but I was wonder for people who are RAM limited and not able/willing to upgrade, is there a way to benchmark pagefiles to determine which local storage device is optimal for assigning a pagefile to? I doubt traditional RAM benchmarks would be good for this and I'm not so sure storage benchmarks would accurately represent pagefile performance unless it really is just directly dependent on random read/write performance.

Solution
You would put the pagefile on the fastest drive.
Unless there are serious space limitations on that drive.

Use of the pagefile depends on the application, the file(s) in that application, and OS involved.

Genralkidd

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2013
You would put the pagefile on the fastest drive.
Unless there are serious space limitations on that drive.

Use of the pagefile depends on the application, the file(s) in that application, and OS involved.
As far as SSDs go, what would generally be considered a more accurate measurement of performance for a pagefile? Sequential read/write or 4k random read/write speeds?

A pagefile doesn't actually use the hdd as ram, the hdd is used to store all of the data in ram that is not currently used so that there is enough free ram to run all the things that do currently run.
The point is that there are big chunks of stuff being written and read each time and not a lot of small files.