[SOLVED] Is there a safe way to increase the desktop and games res above recommended?

danny009

Reputable
Apr 11, 2019
My screen is 1080p60Hz, I do want to increase all the res to a bit above than 1080p, that includes games and desktop too, I heard NVIDIA control panel have such feature but am I'm going to have weird issues like resizing the entire screen after quitting a game or it can damage my hardware? Thanks in advance and good day to you,

UPDATE: I just used NVIDIA DSR, added 1x20 and 1x50 native res and then smoothness to %42, what is the sweet spot for the smoothness? My desktop looks more bigger now which was what I wanted but small text is hard to read,

Last edited:
Solution
My screen is 1080p60Hz, I do want to increase all the res to a bit above than 1080p, that includes games and desktop too, I heard NVIDIA control panel have such feature but am I'm going to have weird issues like resizing the entire screen after quitting a game or it can damage my hardware? Thanks in advance and good day to you,

UPDATE: I just used NVIDIA DSR, added 1x20 and 1x50 native res and then smoothness to %42, what is the sweet spot for the smoothness? My desktop looks more bigger now which was what I wanted but small text is hard to read,
You can not see a resolution higher than your monitor can support. AMD's Radeon Settings have a feature called Virtual Super Resolution where it renders the screen at a higher...

Cj-tech

Admirable
Jan 27, 2021

If your goal is simply to increase the size of the text, go into Windows settings. If you want to change the size of icons on the desktop, hold down Ctrl and use the mouse scroller to make them bigger/smaller. Making the screen resolution larger than what is normal will lower the quality.

You can not see a resolution higher than your monitor can support. AMD's Radeon Settings have a feature called Virtual Super Resolution where it renders the screen at a higher resolution than the monitor (depends on VRAM available on the card) but displays it at the monitor's resolution. I'm sure NVidia has something similar, called something else.

VSR is pretty similar to how some anti aliasing methods work to remove 'jaggies' in the display. So playing a game in a higher resolution than your monitor can make the image appear sharper but it's very costly on GPU performance and that means frame rates will drop in games.

Solution