Question Is there a safe way to open a suspicious email attachment?

Pimpom

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
From time to time over the past few months, I've been receiving emails levelling ridiculous charges of cybercrime at me. The mails are purportedly from an anti- cybercrime center in my country (India) but the email address is from a server outside the country (.de). .The last two mails have attachments that are supposed to be court orders.

Of course I have not downloaded or opened the attachments. I'm wondering if there's a safe way to do so. Just being curious.

If there's no safe way, I'll just delete these last two mails like I did with the previous ones. Any suggestions?

USAFRet

Titan
From time to time over the past few months, I've been receiving emails levelling ridiculous charges of cybercrime at me. The mails are purportedly from an anti- cybercrime center in my country (India) but the email address is from a server outside the country (.de). .The last two mails have attachments that are supposed to be court orders.

Of course I have not downloaded or opened the attachments. I'm wondering if there's a safe way to do so. Just being curious.

If there's no safe way, I'll just delete these last two mails like I did with the previous ones. Any suggestions?
Only way would be with a sacrificial PC.
One that you can easily wipe completely.

I'm not sure I would even trust a VM.

Yes, they are scam emails, laden with malware.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Not sure I'd even trust a VM.
Crafty malware can detect if it is in a VM, and just shut itself down. Leading you to think there is no malicious payload involved.

I can neither confirm nor deny that claim. I have been using VM for years now to deal with 'sketchy' things and it has never been able to jump outside the enviro because I don't have said set up in the VM (like local networking and so on). At the very least it would allow the user to see what those attachments are, if they will open, and either way just delete the machine when done and it is gone.

USAFRet

Titan
I can neither confirm nor deny that claim. I have been using VM for years now to deal with 'sketchy' things and it has never been able to jump outside the enviro because I don't have said set up in the VM (like local networking and so on). At the very least it would allow the user to see what those attachments are, if they will open, and either way just delete the machine when done and it is gone.
Oh, I do the same with VM's.

But software can detect its environment. Windows, Apple, and the typical VM environments....VMWare, VirtualBox, etc.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
What about booting from Live Linux distro and accessing that way? Likely similar risk to VM, but nothing gets written to local storage.

Clearly scam messages, else someone would be knocking at your door.