[SOLVED] Is there a way I can see if my current hardware will support Windows 7?

Oct 8, 2019
I've tried repeatedly to install windows 7 as a secondary OS to my machine, even going as far as to take a drive from a functioning windows 7 PC into my own, to no avail. Is there a way I can see from a hardware standpoint if my computer cannot physically handle windows 7? I have relatively new hardware and my specs are listed below.
--------------------------
Intel i9-9600k
GeForce GTX 1660 Ti
Asus Rog Maximus Hero XI
Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB
Hitachi HDS721075CLA332

Please ask if you need clarification or other details.

Solution
You may easily install Windows 10 and call it a day.

There are no Windows 7 drivers on ASUS's website for the motherboard you have. However, B365 mobos come with Windows 7 drivers. ROG STRIX B365-G Gaming, for instance.

To install Windows 7, grab a USB 2 flash drive and make it bootable using the tools that motherboard vendors have released, and inject USB 3 and NVMe drivers.
Plug a PS/2 keyboard, or use front panel USB 2 ports of your case to connect the keyboard and your prepared USB flash device. If it didn't work, burn your Windows 7 image to a DVD and proceed with the installation.
Legacy support must be enabled in BIOS (and some other required preferences should be set). Please google it to find out more.

To bypass...

kanewolf

Titan
I've tried repeatedly to install windows 7 as a secondary OS to my machine, even going as far as to take a drive from a functioning windows 7 PC into my own, to no avail. Is there a way I can see from a hardware standpoint if my computer cannot physically handle windows 7? I have relatively new hardware and my specs are listed below.
--------------------------
Intel i9-9600k
GeForce GTX 1660 Ti
Asus Rog Maximus Hero XI
Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB
Hitachi HDS721075CLA332

Please ask if you need clarification or other details.
When the Asus ROG forum has no help, I am guessing no -- https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthre...bit-on-Asus-Maximus-XI-Hero-Z390-motherboards

mkaafy

Reputable
Jan 14, 2020
You may easily install Windows 10 and call it a day.

There are no Windows 7 drivers on ASUS's website for the motherboard you have. However, B365 mobos come with Windows 7 drivers. ROG STRIX B365-G Gaming, for instance.

To install Windows 7, grab a USB 2 flash drive and make it bootable using the tools that motherboard vendors have released, and inject USB 3 and NVMe drivers.
Plug a PS/2 keyboard, or use front panel USB 2 ports of your case to connect the keyboard and your prepared USB flash device. If it didn't work, burn your Windows 7 image to a DVD and proceed with the installation.
Legacy support must be enabled in BIOS (and some other required preferences should be set). Please google it to find out more.

To bypass unsupported hardware message by Windows Update, you need to use zeffy's wufuc patch.

Finally, download the last supported driver for Windows 7 for your GPU from Nvidia's website.

Last edited:
Solution
Oct 8, 2019
When I took the drive out of the other computer to start windows 7 what I got was fireflies but then it bluescreened. No specific detail, just bluescreen. I can record it if needed

Apr 21, 2020
I can get into the recovery screen however
did you look on the manufacturers website to see if Windows 7 drivers are available for the new hardware? If you don't see them in the driver downloads then probably not. The reason it's blue screening is because it's loading the wrong drivers and most likely the wrong HAL (hardware abstraction layer). You may be able to get it to run by uninstalling all the drivers from the device mgr in the previous computer but it still won't function correctly in the new pc without drivers.