[SOLVED] Is there a way to block users from Sub-router/WIFI using the main modem?

jaynardtica

Reputable
Jul 17, 2018
Hello Sir/Mam,

Is there a way to block users from Sub-router/WIFI using the main modem?

I have the main modem internet and there is extended WIFI. I need to block some users from it.
Do I have to be connected in Router or can I block them from the Main Modem.

If yes how do you do that.

Thank you,

Solution
The second router will hide all the users behind it. They all look the same and you can't tell the difference.

You can block all users behind router 2 but you can not allow some and block others. The second router makes all users appear as if they come from the router itself.

You would have to do any blocking on the second router.

Note the router must actually have a feature that allows you to do this. Normally it is some kind of firewall setting or maybe parental controls will work.

You may not currently have the knowledge of how to bypass this but once you set this up one time you will. You are going to use a mac address filter on the router. When you are in the process of figuring out how to get the machines mac...
What do you mean, you want to prevent them from access the actual router or you want to prevent them from using the internet.

How is the second "router" connected. If it is connected to the wan port of the second router then all devices coming from the second router all appear as the same mac and IP address. You can not tell between different users connected to the second router.

If the second router is some kind of repeater or AP then you should be able to filter by mac address on your main router. Note mac address filters are close to worthless preventing someone who intentionally is trying to bypass your restriction. It tends to be trivial to change the mac address. This would be the same issue if you tried to limit it on the secondary router.

Reactions: jaynardtica

jaynardtica

Reputable
Jul 17, 2018
Sorry, The "modem" I am talking about is the First router.

Modem/First Router <----- 2nd router <------user (some to prevent/block)

I have the access in the Modem/ First Router. I want some user to prevent or completely block in the 2nd Router so they cannot access the WIFI

If you mean i cannot filter it from the First router because the user is connected to the 2nd router. Then i have to be connected to the 2nd router then remove them?

No worries they don't have knowledge nor me to bypass.

*sorry i'm not that good in english

The second router will hide all the users behind it. They all look the same and you can't tell the difference.

You can block all users behind router 2 but you can not allow some and block others. The second router makes all users appear as if they come from the router itself.

You would have to do any blocking on the second router.

Note the router must actually have a feature that allows you to do this. Normally it is some kind of firewall setting or maybe parental controls will work.

You may not currently have the knowledge of how to bypass this but once you set this up one time you will. You are going to use a mac address filter on the router. When you are in the process of figuring out how to get the machines mac address you will quickly see how trivial it is to change it to anything you want.

Reactions: jaynardtica
Solution