Is there a way to chose which hdd is imaged

Mordecai12

Commendable
Jul 16, 2016
Hello,

I suspect that I have a failing hdd. I need to create an image of it because it has the OS on it and I don't have a windows disk for that OS.

I moved the failing hdd to another computer because, since it's failing, it crashes my other computer when it runs off of that failing drive.

I'm trying to do an image of it but I only want to do an image of the failing hdd, not the hdd with the OS of this computer also.

There are currently 3 hdd's in this computer. One with the OS, another which is failing, and another which is the hdd that I want to put the image on.

So essentially, I'm trying to make an image of ONE hdd without making an image of the other hdd on this computer with the OS on it.

I'm on the backup and restore section on Windows but it automatically selects the hdd with the OS, which I don't want to back up.

So is this possible or do I need to download another tool?

Sorry if this is confusing. I'll try to explain it in more detail if I need to.

Thanks in advance.

Solution
I assume you want a "image" of that secondary HDD solely for the reason of backing up the data on that drive and thus being able to access that data by & by. Is this so?

If that be the case, consider a disk-cloning operation (rather than creating a disk image of the HDD) that will clone the contents of that HDD to another disk. Since you indicate your system contains another HDD that (hopefully) could serve as the recipient of the clone, is the disk-space capacity of that disk sufficient to contain the contents of the failing HDD? If so, you may want to consider a disk-cloning operation. The advantage of having a clone rather than a disk image is that the data on the cloned disk is immediately accessible to the user and there is no...
I assume you want a "image" of that secondary HDD solely for the reason of backing up the data on that drive and thus being able to access that data by & by. Is this so?

If that be the case, consider a disk-cloning operation (rather than creating a disk image of the HDD) that will clone the contents of that HDD to another disk. Since you indicate your system contains another HDD that (hopefully) could serve as the recipient of the clone, is the disk-space capacity of that disk sufficient to contain the contents of the failing HDD? If so, you may want to consider a disk-cloning operation. The advantage of having a clone rather than a disk image is that the data on the cloned disk is immediately accessible to the user and there is no need for any "recovery" process (as there would be in the case of a disk image).

For details about this disk-cloning process you can do a Google search on "cloning the contents of one drive to another drive". The process is relatively straightforward. Disk-cloning ("data migration") programs are readily available on the net.

Solution