Question Is there a way to find out if a graphic card will work before buying it

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Ann Welsh

Honorable
Oct 11, 2013
I am looking for a new graphic card for my HP Compaq 6300 SFF computer and I want to know if there was a place that could tell me if the card will work for what I need. When I got this computer I thought it would work but I guess the card is not good enough

COLGeek

Cybernaut
There is not one close to me. And I do not need a pc repair shop as I do not have an issue
What you have is an older PC that can't meet the requirements of the game you mentioned due to using an integrated video adapter. Installing a dedicated video card, like the ones mentioned earlier in this thread, will resolve that deficiency.

There is nothing more we can do to assist you. Good luck.

I am looking for a new graphic card for my HP Compaq 6300 SFF computer and I want to know if there was a place that could tell me if the card will work for what I need. When I got this computer I thought it would work but I guess the card is not good enough

Couple problems I see - It's a small form factor which means, it's smaller than your traditional PC and therefore aftermarket components are typically not going to work. Consider the 240W PSU in there that is shaped like an L. Traditional PSUs are square. Square block in a short L shape obviously won't work. The graphics card upgrade won't work because your PSU doesn't provide enough power, most likely. Which GFX card did you try?

In short I don't see a GFX upgrade path with that small business sff(small form factor)PC.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Let's not confuse matters any more than already on-going. The OEM PSU can certainly power a GT 1030 in this system, even if only rated at 240w. As long as an external PCIe connection is not needed to power the GPU, it is likely not an issue.

PSU ratings aside, this is not the issue at hand.

TRENDING THREADS