Is there a way to find the reason for a touchpad crash?

adonnis

Prominent
Nov 19, 2017
Hi everyone. A few days ago I was using this VPN app https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/p/vpn-shield-2-internet-security-proxy-connection-for-encrypt-messages-and-protect-online-data-unblock-websites-change-location-and-hide-ip-for-anonymous-browsing/9nzjzm61vv7f
When I set it up and connected, my security software warned me in a pop up: 'Do you trust this network?' and gave me these options
-block external access
-allow access only to shared files and servers
-Allow all network activity
At that point I did not imagine the VPN could still work if I restricted it's access (I don't or didn't know exactly what it means) so I chose the last one.

After browsing smoothly for an hour or so, at one point the cursor freezed. Only it, otherwise the system was working, I was able to switch between opened windows through the keyboard. It would not respond in any way to touchpad stroking or pressing it's buttons. Navigating with the keyboard, I managed to get the touchpad disabled and reenabled but it did not change the situation. My only option was to restart the computer. It solved the issue and the next times I used the app I always blocked external access and never had such a problem again.

Now my question is: do you know a way I could determine if that mouse crash was caused by this app. I want to find if it's malware so I move on to warn others about it and alert Microsoft and my security provider to look into it? Can some of you test it on your machines?

Solution
Seems I just found the reason: the laptop has a nasty function key for turning off the touchpad, right next to the mute F-key that I recently learned to use. F- that!

adonnis

Prominent
Nov 19, 2017
Seems I just found the reason: the laptop has a nasty function key for turning off the touchpad, right next to the mute F-key that I recently learned to use. F- that!

Solution