[SOLVED] Is there a way to install a wifi card without using pcie x1?

Jul 25, 2020
I curently have a wifi pcie x1 card installed on my motherboard. I recently purchased a new gpu but after installing it there isnt enough space to install the wifi card. The next thing I tried was using a pcie x1 extender but it is still in the way and wont let the gpu fully mount. is there another way to install the wifi card to the motherboard another way? Any help would be much appreciated.

Solution
Yep, you have a triple slot card on a microATX motherboard. There is no way you are going to be able to use those lower slots, not even with a relocation riser cable I don't think. You'll need either a larger, regular ATX motherboard, or you'll need to get an external USB WiFi adapter. Any other option will be less simple and more expensive.
No. There isn't. What motherboard do you have and what is the exact model of the graphics card you have?

That card can be installed in ANY x1, x4, x8 or x16 PCIe slot, so if there are NO slots where it can be installed because of clearance issues, then you may need to resort to using a USB WiFi adapter.

Depending on how handy you are, you might be able to relocate it if there's room to plug in an adapter like this, or something similar.

https://www.amazon.com/Cablecc-Express-Extender-Extension-Relocate/dp/B00S6AL3O8

Yep, you have a triple slot card on a microATX motherboard. There is no way you are going to be able to use those lower slots, not even with a relocation riser cable I don't think. You'll need either a larger, regular ATX motherboard, or you'll need to get an external USB WiFi adapter. Any other option will be less simple and more expensive.

Solution
Jul 25, 2020
No. There isn't. What motherboard do you have and what is the exact model of the graphics card you have?

That card can be installed in ANY x1, x4, x8 or x16 PCIe slot, so if there are NO slots where it can be installed because of clearance issues, then you may need to resort to using a USB WiFi adapter.

Depending on how handy you are, you might be able to relocate it if there's room to plug in an adapter like this, or something similar.

https://www.amazon.com/Cablecc-Express-Extender-Extension-Relocate/dp/B00S6AL3O8

I will purchase that cable and see if it is thin enough. I tried this cable but it was too thick.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07SRBGQPV/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If that cable is too tall to clear under the card, they will ALL be too tall, because none of them are any shorter than that including the one I linked to. Even the right angle cable adapters are just as tall if we are measuring the height of the connector at the end of the cable.

Last edited:
Yes, the connector at the end of the cable is going to be the same height or taller, no matter which one you get. You simply are pretty much limited to either getting a larger motherboard that will have additional slots both lower and probably further up the board, that won't be interering with the graphics card's three slot width, or using an external Wireless adapter. Or of course, using a wired connection. Which is better and faster anyhow.