Question is there a way to install WINDOWS PRO (replacing the home version) without having to reinstall everything again?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ashtekaros

Reputable
Jan 29, 2019
i have sent the pc to a tech to repair motherboard but unfortunately he installed the WINDOWS 10 HOME SINGLE LANGUAGE version instead of windows pro.

i requested a BACKUP of the system and the tech did it

My question is if it possible to replace windows HOME by the PRO VERSION without having to reinstall all programs again and WITHOUT AN UNITENTIONAL FORMATTING OF THE PC. Since i want to preserve the files and memory of the pc.

maybe i should send the pc to a tech again ?

i have the impression that the pro edition is vastrly superior to the home edition. is this correct or its just slightly superior ?

thanks.

USAFRet

Titan
why ? is the update dangerous for the data/memory?

if it is, then i will have to go to technician again because im not sure how to do a proper backup.
A backup plan is like car insurance.
Accidents happen.
And you need that before things happen.

Not that the update is 'dangerous'. But things happen.
Oops, I clicked the wrong button
Oops, the power went out partway through
Oops, I got a nasty virus
Oops, my hard drive died
oops oops oops

This is my procedure.

Yours does NOT have to be this intensive, but do something. And NOT just let the shop do it.

why ? is the update dangerous for the data/memory?

if it is, then i will have to go to technician again because im not sure how to do a proper backup.

im interested in windows pro because i will have to reinstall the programs anyway. hence its better to start with a good windows version.
You should do your own backups because a backup done by someone else is just about as worthless as no backup plan at all.

ashtekaros

Reputable
Jan 29, 2019
Break the PC?
Not physically.

The OS may become Unactivated after a while.

you say after a while. from what i understand the update itself will not mess the memory, but microsoft may end the account. is this what you mean ?

the update itself wont do that, right ? even if using a different cd key

USAFRet

Titan
you say after a while. from what i understand the update itself will not mess the memory, but microsoft may end the account. is this what you mean ?

the update itself wont do that, right ? even if using a different cd key
A 'not valid' Windows OS may become Unactivated.
There are different times and ways this might happen.

The "update"? TO what...Win 01 Pro?
Where are you getting a Pro license? That is the key to validity?

And still, why Win 10 Pro, specifically?

ashtekaros

Reputable
Jan 29, 2019
update to
A 'not valid' Windows OS may become Unactivated.
There are different times and ways this might happen.

The "update"? TO what...Win 01 Pro?
Where are you getting a Pro license? That is the key to validity?

And still, why Win 10 Pro, specifically?

update to WIN 10 PRO.

using a payed resold cd key from a site. according to the customers of the site these work for validation.

its just that using a cd key different from the older one seems tricky. i think the safer way to enable this would be through reinstallation windows with backup. is this correct ?

you said that its recommended that i stay with the home version. but isnt the home version as subject as becoming unactivated or it is safer than doing the update?

again . thanks for the help. i hope this post will be useful . and i apologize for the extension of it.

Last edited:

USAFRet

Titan
update to WIN 10 PRO.

using a payed resold cd key from a site. according to the customers of the site these work for validation.
Yeah, good luck with that. Hope it works for you.

you said that its recommended that i stay with the home version. but isnt the home version as subject as becoming unactivated or it is safer than doing the update?
Where did the actual original Windows 10 license come from?

ashtekaros

Reputable
Jan 29, 2019
i
Yeah, good luck with that. Hope it works for you.

Where did the actual original Windows 10 license come from?

i have used this cd key (windows 7 ) for 2 to four to years now from a symilar site (without problems) , i think it was previously updated with sucess to windows 10 pro but im not sure .

is there a way to chek previous windows versions . maybe on the microsoft site?

i thought the win 7 key was legit but the price of original windows is insane (in my country one dollar is more or less five to six times the value of the currency here)

you said the OS may become unusable. but this wont destroy the memory or make a backup impossible (supposing i go to a tech) , correct ?

from what i understand buying a new cd key from a site will demand a fresh reinstallation of windows plus backup. is this right ?

USAFRet

Titan
i have used this cd key (windows 7 ) for 2 to four to years now from a symilar site (without problems) , i think it was previously updated with sucess to windows 10 pro but im not sure .

is there a way to chek previous windows versions . maybe on the microsoft site?

i thought the win 7 key was legit but the price of original windows is insane (in my country one dollar is more or less five to six times the value of the currency here)

Not sure what you mean by "chek previous windows versions"

you said the OS may become unusable. but this wont destroy the memory or make a backup impossible (supposing i go to a tech) , correct ?
No, not unusable.
Just potentially Unactivated.
It will still run just fine, mostly.
It will NOT 'destroy' anything, nor make any backup impossible.

from what i understand buying a new cd key from a site will demand a fresh reinstallation of windows plus backup. is this right ?
No, this is not correct. CHanging the WIndows license key does NOT cause a reinstallation.

ashtekaros

Reputable
Jan 29, 2019
to "check previous versions" , i mean previous versions of windows that were installed before on the pc. seeing it through the microsoft site.

when you said the OS may become unactivated . what will be the consequences ? just updates being disabled ? will i be unable to log on the user account or to use programs on the account ?

USAFRet

Titan
to "check previous versions" , i mean previous versions of windows that were installed before on the pc.

Unless that info is in your Microsoft account (it isn't), I do not believe there is a way to find that.

when you said the OS may become unactivated . what will be the consequences ? just updates being disabled ? will i be unable to log on the user account or to use programs on the account ?

Inability to customize the Taskbar
Inability to customize the background
A sometimes appearing nag text at bottom right

That's it.
Everything else works, including regular updates.

I have a long running Unactivated WIn 10 installed, just to test what happens over time.
In a VM, first installed Dec 8 2016.
Still Unactivated, still gets all the same update.

ashtekaros

Reputable
Jan 29, 2019
Again, just leave it as is. Win 10 Home.
If, at some point in the future, a problem arises, then address it at that time.

Hopefully the last question : Is the pro version clearly superior regarding privacy ? In comparison with windows 7 windows 10 seems lacking on privacy and security.

i sucesfully updated without problems. but the pc got somewhat slower. should i restore the previous WIN 10 (HOME) or the privacy and security of WIN 10 PRO is worth it ?

restoration wont bring problems. correct ?

USAFRet

Titan
Hopefully the last question : Is the pro version clearly superior regarding privacy ? In comparison with windows 7 windows 10 seems lacking on privacy and security.
No.
In that regard, there is no difference between Home and Pro.

i sucesfully updated without problems. but the pc got somewhat slower. should i restore the previous WIN 10 (HOME) or the privacy and security of WIN 10 PRO is worth it ?
It may be doing some additional updates in the background.