Question Is there a way to remove OEM from my motherboard ?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
So the only option is to replace my motherboard? Damn I don't have any more money left after I upgraded my PSU, CPU, RAM, and PC case. I never thought I could get this issue. I got my PC back when I had no idea with PC yet and it was my cousin making the decisions. I knew that there was something off with that PC store because they didn't issue us an official receipt. Wish I knew all about this.
If your requirement is to "go legit with Windows and get a key", then yes, although I'm not sure why you need a retail BIOS to do that. I didn't think BIOS and Windows were that inextricably linked, but it's a long while since I ever used OEM anything.

If your requirement is to just get the Ryzen 5 5500 working, then E7A36AMS.I41 sounds like it should do the job. It'll just still be an OEM BIOS, that's all.

Maverick1234

Reputable
Feb 20, 2021
If that fails then this is cheapest board I found out of the box b550 that will work with Ryzen 5500

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/RH9wrH/gigabyte-b550m-k-micro-atx-am4-motherboard-b550m-k

If you plan to overclock CPU in future make sure your vrms later have a heatsink on them.

Otherwise board should be fine
Looks like the BIOS update worked. Not sure tho, so pls check the links I sent. https://prnt.sc/ZQdClpcoaCM8 https://prnt.sc/1Yk2K4OQTCTn And I got this new MSI driver install something something https://prnt.sc/jcYJuNuWau35

If your requirement is to "go legit with Windows and get a key", then yes, although I'm not sure why you need a retail BIOS to do that. I didn't think BIOS and Windows were that inextricably linked, but it's a long while since I ever used OEM anything.

If your requirement is to just get the Ryzen 5 5500 working, then E7A36AMS.I41 sounds like it should do the job. It'll just still be an OEM BIOS, that's all.
Retail bios doesn't work on OEM boards I know I've updated a few OEM boards before there usually white list locked behind some bs which to me is market misleading

Maverick1234

Reputable
Feb 20, 2021

So in the end, the only way to get rid of the OEM BIOS is to get a new retail motherboard? But how about if I want to go legit with windows, what do I do to go legit?

Maverick1234

Reputable
Feb 20, 2021
I might have made an oopsies. I forgot to remove the AMD Graphics Drivers from the download list and I think that is pertaining to my integrated GPU which is the Vega 8 that my Ryzen 3 3200G has.

Retail bios doesn't work on OEM boards
I know. The question here is whether retail Windows works on OEM motherboards.

So in the end, the only way to get rid of the OEM BIOS is to get a new retail motherboard?
Yes.
But how about if I want to go legit with windows, what do I do to go legit?
This is what I'm not sure of. If you buy a legitimate copy of Windows, it's still not clear to me that the OEM BIOS prevents it. I know there's some kind of Windows OEM key storage going on in OEM BIOS that helps with activation during OEM production of N machines, but if you're wanting to install a shiny new Windows 11 that you just bought it's not clear to me what would prevent you activating Windows using your new retail key.

Until you actually try installing a legitimate copy of Windows and it fails, it's hard to see why you're so sure that there'll be a problem.

Maverick1234

Reputable
Feb 20, 2021
I know. The question here is whether retail Windows works on OEM motherboards.

Yes.

This is what I'm not sure of. If you buy a legitimate copy of Windows, it's still not clear to me that the OEM BIOS prevents it. I know there's some kind of Windows OEM key storage going on in OEM BIOS that helps with activation during OEM production of N machines, but if you're wanting to install a shiny new Windows 11 that you just bought it's not clear to me what would prevent you activating Windows using your new retail key.

Until you actually try installing a legitimate copy of Windows and it fails, it's hard to see why you're so sure that there'll be a problem.
I guess I'll just wait until I get a new motherboard. I'll first get a new GPU, and then next is a new motherboard.

Maverick1234

Reputable
Feb 20, 2021
So I have decided to replace my motherboard. By replacing it, will I be able to go legit with Windows? Because I really want to remove this pirated Windows 10 Enterprise that I have in my PC. I'm gonna go with a B450M because that's the only mobo I can afford right now.

So I have decided to replace my motherboard. By replacing it, will I be able to go legit with Windows? Because I really want to remove this pirated Windows 10 Enterprise that I have in my PC. I'm gonna go with a B450M because that's the only mobo I can afford right now.
Retail os are tied to the email you use for signing in to windows. As it becomes a digital key

TRENDING THREADS