Question Is there a way to send emails from asp.net without using SMTP ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PrabhakaranKaruppaih

Distinguished
May 18, 2016
I am building a Web App using asp.net which needs to send emails for member registration to send the verification code/links. But unfortunately, in my office in the high levels, SMTP Ports are disabled.

USAFRet

Titan
SMTP is the literal protocol for sending email.
"Simple Mail Transfer Protocol"

If you're doing this in your office, and the office networking people have disabled SMTP (not unusual)....talk to them.
If this is a necessary office function, you may have luck.

If this is your own personal project, not.

Don't try to work around office rules.
This may end badly for you.

PrabhakaranKaruppaih

Distinguished
May 18, 2016
SMPT is the literal protocol for sending email.
"Simple Mail Transfer Protocol"

If you're doing this in your office, and the office networking people have disabled SMTP (not unusual)....talk to them.
If this is a necessary office function, you may have luck.

If this is your own personal project, not.

Don't try to work around office rules.
This may end badly for you.
We are just trying to push the boundaries as much as possible from our department side. You know. If we go to the IT department, we have to go formally from creating indents to multiple approvals. Imagine if there is a way to send and receive emails without those hassles!!!

kanewolf

Titan
We are just trying to push the boundaries as much as possible from our department side. You know. If we go to the IT department, we have to go formally from creating indents to multiple approvals. Imagine if there is a way to send and receive emails without those hassles!!!
Those "hassles" are there to protect the business. E-mail is a GIANT security weakness. Your department manager is risking their job by "pushing the boundaries".

Reactions: palladin9479

USAFRet

Titan
The issue is not that they have simply disabled SMTP.

They disabled that, because "You may not run your own personal or departmental mail server"
Disabling SMTP is the main pathway to do that.

Sending email via some other means is still "sending email".
A violation of the basic rule.

If it is worth doing at a department level, it is worth getting actual approval from all parties involved.

I've known people marched out the door for less.

PrabhakaranKaruppaih

Distinguished
May 18, 2016
The issue is not that they have simply disabled SMTP.

They disabled that, because "You may not run your own personal or departmental mail server"
Disabling SMTP is the main pathway to do that.

Sending email via some other means is still "sending email".
A violation of the basic rule.

If it is worth doing at a department level, it is worth getting actual approval from all parties involved.

I've known people marched out the door for less.
No. It's not like that. Our institute is just growing. Please try to see this way: "What if the IT doesn't know how to enable that?" That is the case in most of our institute infrastructure. I (also my team and my managers) are not trying to break our institution's law but basically we just don't want trouble other teams...

USAFRet

Titan
No. It's not like that. Our institute is just growing. Please try to see this way: "What if the IT doesn't know how to enable that?" That is the case in most of our institute infrastructure. I (also my team and my managers) are not trying to break our institution's law but basically we just don't want trouble other teams...
Then you have a totally incompetent IT dept.

They disabled it, right?

kanewolf

Titan
You won't get assistance on this board to bypass ANY security features. Providing information like that is against the rules of this board.

But I will ask, if you are asking the right question.
How is e-mail accessed by a human? HTTPS to portal? Can you not mimic that behavior ?

PrabhakaranKaruppaih

Distinguished
May 18, 2016
You won't get assistance on this board to bypass ANY security features. Providing information like that is against the rules of this board.

But I will ask, if you are asking the right question.
How is e-mail accessed by a human? HTTPS to portal? Can you not mimic that behavior ?
No I am not. Yes. We all can open gmail, outlook and many other email services using the browser. I know selenium but that is unconventional to use in this scenario. Anyway, that is my last resort.

kanewolf

Titan

kanewolf

Titan
My intuition is whispering me in the ears: "There must be a Way!"
There is USE the approved tools. You said Outlook was an approved e-mail tool. There is an API for outlook -- https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/graph/outlook-mail-concept-overview
Again SMTP or POP3 or IMAP. Not able to even setup the account in Outlook :(
Then the e-mail administrator could create the account. That seems like a typical task that your IT department should be able to handle.

Status
Not open for further replies.