Question Is there a way to set dual channel mode to side by side ram sticks?

Eyriman

Reputable
Feb 15, 2016
Hello!
I dissasembled my Pc moved it and then reasembled it again. Before i put it in the case i set all the components in the mobo to check if i get good temps (so to see if if i had installed properly the CPU cooler). - Pc wasnt showing any image, so 1st thing i did i started moving the ram sticks and found out that the first two ram slots are not working anymore. Whatever ram stick i use or combination on the first 2 slots A1,A2 (closer to cpu) PC is not showing any image. Stupid me - probably i sorted something as i was trying to test without PC case.
I have 2 ram sticks 2x8gb DDR4 2133mhz. If i put them in the slots on the right (slots B1,B2) or only use 1 stick on either slot windows recognize them properly and PC boots normal, but they work in single channel mode.

So my question is, Is there a way to set my ram stick work on dual channel mode allthough they are placed on side by side slots? I searched on the bios but i cannot find anything.

Any response greatly appreciated!
Thanks!

Rig:
Mobo: AsRock Z170 Pro4S
CPU: Intel i5-6600k
Ram: Crucial 2x8GB DDR4 2133Mhz 1.2v CL15
Windows 10

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
No, dual channel isn't just a software thing, it's a hardware thing, the slots are placed as such for a reason. It require the actual channels to be in the right location. It's down to how your motherboard is actually manufactured.

I'd focus on fixing the problem of the RAM slots not working as this is indicating a bigger problem elsewhere.
For the record, excess pressure from your CPU cooler can cause RAM slots to fault so you might want to check and relieve a bit of pressure from your CPU cooler.

I'd also potentially check there has been no damage to the CPU/Socket etc.

Reactions: King_V and Eyriman

Eyriman

Reputable
Feb 15, 2016
Thanks for the answers!

For the record, excess pressure from your CPU cooler can cause RAM slots to fault so you might want to check and relieve a bit of pressure from your CPU cooler.

Probably this is it, because the 1st time i tried installing the cpu cooler the screws were loose and then tried again succesfully but i really fixed the screws to be sure they wont become loose.

Reactions: Dark Lord of Tech
Hello!
I dissasembled my Pc moved it and then reasembled it again. Before i put it in the case i set all the components in the mobo to check if i get good temps (so to see if if i had installed properly the CPU cooler). - Pc wasnt showing any image, so 1st thing i did i started moving the ram sticks and found out that the first two ram slots are not working anymore. Whatever ram stick i use or combination on the first 2 slots A1,A2 (closer to cpu) PC is not showing any image. Stupid me - probably i sorted something as i was trying to test without PC case.
I have 2 ram sticks 2x8gb DDR4 2133mhz. If i put them in the slots on the right (slots B1,B2) or only use 1 stick on either slot windows recognize them properly and PC boots normal, but they work in single channel mode.

So my question is, Is there a way to set my ram stick work on dual channel mode allthough they are placed on side by side slots? I searched on the bios but i cannot find anything.

Any response greatly appreciated!
Thanks!

Rig:
Mobo: AsRock Z170 Pro4S
CPU: Intel i5-6600k
Ram: Crucial 2x8GB DDR4 2133Mhz 1.2v CL15
Windows 10
Pull out the CPU, check for broken or bent pins. Place it back if there are no pin issues and see if it will boot. Memory slots not working usually means either the CPU is shifted a bit and the pads dont make contact with the pins or there is a bent pin from improper placement into the socket or heat-sink installation.

A bent pin in the cpu socket is the most likely culprit.
If you did not tighten cooler screws gradually and in a criss-cross manner then the cpu could have been uneven.
I have seen this situation in the past and it turned out to be a cpu defect which was replaced under warranty. I doubt this is the issue since it worked ok before.

Eyriman

Reputable
Feb 15, 2016
A bent pin in the cpu socket is the most likely culprit.
If you did not tighten cooler screws gradually and in a criss-cross manner then the cpu could have been uneven.
I have seen this situation in the past and it turned out to be a cpu defect which was replaced under warranty. I doubt this is the issue since it worked ok before.
I hope is not a bent pin. I did tighten the screws in criss cross, maybe i over tighten the screws for the base of the CPU cooler. I am afraid to install the cpu again in case it gets worse!

Eyriman

Reputable
Feb 15, 2016
Thanks everyone for the answers you were all correct.

I removed the cpu installed it again (with no cooler) and all channels work fine. When I put the cpu cooler and tight it they stop working... so I gradually unscrewd it from the front and back plate and after a lot of restarts I found the sweet spot that all channels are working. The cpu cooler is not moving but I would felt more comfortable if I had tightened it more. Also if I shake the PC tower while operating just a tiny bit more than usual it goes to bsod. I runned aida 64 and prime 95 for an hour and I get max 51C (i5 6600k - cooler master hyper evo 212) and ambient temps around 22C so generally I am happy for the moment.

I got a picture from the mobo cpu holder and indeed It seems I have a bent pin.(check pic) But I dont won't to try to make it straight because i am afraid that i am gonna make matters worse. Is there a danger of sorting something if I leave it like this ?

View: https://imgur.com/a/THGz1EC

Thanks everyone for the answers you were all correct.

I removed the cpu installed it again (with no cooler) and all channels work fine. When I put the cpu cooler and tight it they stop working... so I gradually unscrewd it from the front and back plate and after a lot of restarts I found the sweet spot that all channels are working. The cpu cooler is not moving but I would felt more comfortable if I had tightened it more. Also if I shake the PC tower while operating just a tiny bit more than usual it goes to bsod. I runned aida 64 and prime 95 for an hour and I get max 51C (i5 6600k - cooler master hyper evo 212) and ambient temps around 22C so generally I am happy for the moment.

I got a picture from the mobo cpu holder and indeed It seems I have a bent pin.(check pic) But I dont won't to try to make it straight because i am afraid that i am gonna make matters worse. Is there a danger of sorting something if I leave it like this ?

View: https://imgur.com/a/THGz1EC
Moving the pin back into position should fix the problem. You can fix it by very slowly and carefully moving the pin back into position with something thin like a sewing needle or the tip of a wood or plastic tooth pick.

Reactions: Eyriman