Question Is there a way to stop "Date Created/modified" from shifting on folders/files?

_dawn_chorus_

Honorable
Aug 30, 2017
I am copying over folders to a new backup drive and it keeps changing the date "created" and "modified" to todays date. For files and folders it changes the "modified" to todays date but SOMETIMES leaves the "date created" as it should be.
Annoyingly it isn't even consistent. I copied my mp3 folder over and like 5% of folders still say the original date while the other ~500 folders say todays date, same with the files contained inside. Some have a folder with a date created/modified of today and files that say the original date. WHY?

Is there anyway to stop this cataloging by windows? I want at the very least the date a folder was created to be just that, not the date it was most recently copied.

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
if you are copying folders over, technically the destination folder is created today. The original files still exist, you just made a copy.

Windows works like this :
  • When you move a file to a different folder then its creation date will not change.
  • When you copy a file to a different folder then its creation date will change.
The difference is because when you copy a file on your computer, a new file is created with a new timestamp.

have a look at robocopy in answer above