Question Is there a way to use onboard GPU for Windows and Dedicated GPU for games/heavy

Aug 6, 2024
Hello,

I want to understand if there is any way to utilise onboard GPU on i5 12500 for windows tasks specifically and maybe some programs, and at the same time utilise my dedicated GPU for heavier task like playing a game or something else.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
i believe this is what you are looking for. think it is the same for win 10

pick and chose what app uses what gpu using these steps. 2 links but both say the same thing :)

good luck.

I don't know exactly how it's done but my ASUS Vivobook uses my R5-3500U's Vega IGP for almost all situations. It has a GTX 1050 discrete GPU but I only use that for things like video encoding. I don't game on my craptop but I have to imagine that if I did, it would use the GTX 1050, not the Vega IGP because otherwise there would be no point in having the GTX 1050 in the first place.

I would research mobile GPUs if I were you because I think that's where you'll find your answer because multiple GPUs is a lot more common in craptops than in desktops and it's always an APU with a separate discrete card like in my Vivobook. There has to be a way the computer chooses which GPU to use.

Aug 6, 2024
Your 12500 has a capability called quicksync which can be used to accelerate encoding:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Quick_Sync_Video
If i understand correctly, it just helps with video decoding, which I don't do much, I was hoping it can do something like handle any graphic needs when i multi task, like handle all other programs while a game is open, and the game is handled by dedicated gpu, but other programs handled by the cpu at that time.

Latest posts