[SOLVED] Is there an adapter to connect NAND SSD to old mobo?

brian_norm

Commendable
Dec 21, 2016
I have recently cannibalised a couple parts from friends to put together a pc again (old one was stolen - irrelevant but very sad).

The catch is - I got this MSI 970 gaming mobo and a WD Blue 3D NAND SATA SSD. From what I could research the 2 aren't compatible.

Are there adapters that could let me boot from the SSD on the given mobo?

Lutfij

Titan
Just so we're on the right page, can you parse a link to the SSD you're working with? If it's an M.2 SSD then you can get a M.2 to PCIe adapter/converter but that would be moot since the M.2 drive is best placed in a system with native M.2 support.

brian_norm

Commendable
Dec 21, 2016
Aha, thank you!

Was worried, my friend told me to be careful of getting the "new age" NAND SSD knowing I had an older mobo. Unfortunately, I'm not too clued up on this stuff.

Just a quick additional question - I noticed some people mentioned booting off a M2 SSD will be an issue, but seeing as this is the standard SATA 2.5" will I not be experiencing the same issue then?

Thanks again!

The BIOS will be looking at the SATA bus for a bootable device so it should be OK. Turn off any Auto defragmentation in Windows Ssystem Tools before installing it. An older computer BIOS won't be aware of PCIe (M2) bootable devices and won't look for them there.

Aha, thank you!

Was worried, my friend told me to be careful of getting the "new age" NAND SSD knowing I had an older mobo. Unfortunately, I'm not too clued up on this stuff.

Just a quick additional question - I noticed some people mentioned booting off a M2 SSD will be an issue, but seeing as this is the standard SATA 2.5" will I not be experiencing the same issue then?

Thanks again!
The term your friend was looking for was NVME, which older boards dont support natively and need an adapter. The drive you are looking at is not an NVME drive so no worries.