Discussion Is there an alternative to SLI or CF in the works or being talked about that solves the problems of SLI and CF?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Order 66

Grand Moff
Apr 13, 2023
I know that SLI and CF died because of a lack of dev support, high latency, and high price. not to mention, the fact that the power draw was also high.

USAFRet

Titan
I do not believe so.

The current "alternative" is simply more powerful GPUs. Which we already have.

As we've seen over the years, combinations like this often do not give the supposed benefits, and can have significant drawbacks.
SLI/CF and RAID, for instance.

Reactions: Order 66

Order 66

Grand Moff
Apr 13, 2023

A different way to make a processor, in the same package.
thanks, Is there anyway to combat the disadvantages of SLI/CF by making some kind of driver based solution that allows a game to treat a dual GPU as one GPU and move the burden of making both GPUs function correctly together to the driver?

USAFRet

Titan
thanks, Is there anyway to combat the disadvantages of SLI/CF by making some kind of driver based solution that allows a game to treat a dual GPU as one GPU and move the burden of making both GPUs function correctly together to the driver?
Thats exactly what SLI/CF was. 2 physical GPUs working together.

And as we saw over the years, game devs never really embraced it. Remember, they also have to code for low end systems (to a point). Spending extra resources to cater the top 1% is a waste of time/money.

Dec 1, 2023
Thats exactly what SLI/CF was. 2 physical GPUs working together.

And as we saw over the years, game devs never really embraced it. Remember, they also have to code for low end systems (to a point). Spending extra resources to cater the top 1% is a waste of time/money.
That was the intent, but the OS would not always scale the two cards as one. If applications were not coded, or even properly coded, SLI would add no benefit. I ran it for years and finally gave up because the cost of implementation was just too high for the minimal gains I would get.

That was the intent, but the OS would not always scale the two cards as one. If applications were not coded, or even properly coded, SLI would add no benefit. I ran it for years and finally gave up because the cost of implementation was just too high for the minimal gains I would get.
Yeah, the last cards that I ever tried to use in Crossfire were my R9 Furies. Multi-GPU has been dead since then. It's kind of a shame too because DX12 made it possible for Radeon and GeForce cards to work together for the first time (already too late to matter though).

There is something brewing at ATi though because I saw this video from Gamer Meld yesterday. It's kinda-sorta related to this. I don't know how much stock I would put in it but he's usually pretty good:

Order 66

Grand Moff
Apr 13, 2023
Yeah, the last cards that I ever tried to use in Crossfire were my R9 Furies. Multi-GPU has been dead since then. It's kind of a shame too because DX12 made it possible for Radeon and GeForce cards to work together for the first time (already too late to matter though).

There is something brewing at ATi though because I saw this video from Gamer Meld yesterday. It's kinda-sorta related to this. I don't know how much stock I would put in it but he's usually pretty good:
Very interesting… that would be amazing assuming a fast enough interconnect, and I would certainly buy one. Imagine the power of 2 7900xtx’s put together (essentially)

Status
Not open for further replies.