Question Is there any benefit to getting a 2700 over a 2600 amd for gaming?

David_24

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2015
Im planning to get the zen 2 3400 when it comes out. but 12 threads is more than most games will ever use so for purely gaming should I get the 3400 or 3600?

It depends what else you want to do with your computer. If you want to stream then get more cores/threads. If you just want higher frame rates and gaming performance then a CPU with less cores/threads is fine especially if those cores are clocked faster, just spend the difference on the best video card you can find.

With my 6 core/12 thread AMD Ryzen R5-1600 system the biggest bottleneck in my system for gaming is the older EVGA NVidia GTX 950 FTW 2GB video card I am using.

David_24

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2015
It depends what else you want to do with your computer. If you want to stream then get more cores/threads. If you just want higher frame rates and gaming performance then a CPU with less cores/threads is fine especially if those cores are clocked faster, just spend the difference on the best video card you can find.

With my 6 core/12 thread AMD Ryzen R5-1600 system the biggest bottleneck in my system for gaming is the older EVGA NVidia GTX 950 FTW 2GB video card I am using.
ill sell you my 950 so u can crossfire. jking

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
you're asking about cpu's that don't even exist yet. you're gonna have to wait for them to be released and tested before we can answer that question.

in a general sense though, if most of the Ryzen 1 and 2 cpu's can be overclocked to match their higher clocked counterparts. a 2600 can be oc'ed to match a 2600x speed easy enough. so the cheaper of those options is usually better buy.

but how many cores/threads the Ryzen 3 will have is not known nor tested yet. so no clue what that future will hold.

From the prelim data /leaks/forecasts I've seen, AMD is wisely pushing folks up the product stack to get more stock turbo clock speed, i.e., if a buyer wants the higher clock speeds 'right from the box', you might also have to choose more cores, where to get 4.8 GHz or so, you might need to choose the 12 core model... For those who might have been hoping for the more common 6-8 cores at near 5 GHz, they might have to hope for good OC headroom from the lower clocked 6-8 core samples...and hope that all the 'golden premium silicon' has not been tested/binned/reserved for the 12 core variants...

Alas, I suspect we likely won't know if any such conjecture is accurate before July...

(However, a 2600 is likely more than adequate for 98% of most folks today!)

I seriously doubt any of the AMD 3000 series will come close to 4.5GHz turbo let alone 5.0GHz. My R5-1600 can be overclocked to around 3.9GHz the 2600 can be overclocked to about 4.1-4.2GHz so I find it doubtful the 3000 series will clock/overclock much higher then maybe another few hundred megahertz.

TRENDING THREADS