[SOLVED] Is there any chance a 3yr old pc will have parts failing in them??

propigeon

Prominent
Dec 22, 2018
Hello,
I've built a gaming pc in end 2016 for myself, upgraded it all out in end 2018. So the old build is just here in my room for 1 year now.
I have a friend that's looking to buy a PC on a budget, and I tought I could sell my system for him.
ASUS B150 PRO GAMING motherboard
INTEL Core i5-6600K 3.50GHz 1151 BOX with a COOLERMASTER Hyper 212 EVO
HyperX 16GB Savage DDR4 2133MHz CL13 KIT HX421C13SBK2/16
- 2x8 16gb RAM
SAMSUNG SH-S224GB/BEBE optical drive (lol)
CHIEFTEC GPS-700A8 700W psu
GPU and storage are excluded since I've moved those to my new build in 2018. The case is a fractal design define R5 but my friend does not want the case since he's on a low budget and it would make no sense for him to get such an expensive case.
I almost got him to buy it, but at last he backed out becouse he's worried of the 3 years old components failing due to being used. The CPU was never overclocked, neither was the ram, or anything in the system. It was used actively by me for 2 years for gaming, and has been out cold for a year now.

So the final question is: is there a good chance any of the parts are going to fail becouse they are 3yrs old? Or would it be a safe buy for my friend. He will use this system (if he buys it) for the next at least 3-4 years, so that's why he's worried of it going out faster.
Ty!

Last edited:
Solution
3 years isn't really a big deal. Can something go wrong? Sure, it's possible, but it doesn't seem likely at all. If it hasn't been abused, there's no real reason to worry about it.

The computer my son uses routinely at my house is just over 2 years old.
The computer I use routinely is close to 5 years old.
The computer my son uses routinely at his mother's house is about 7-1/2 years old.

All still work just fine, and both of my son's computers are using the original OEM Dell power supply.

Then again, if it's your friend, and he can trust you to be honest about what you have, and you can agree to refund him if anything goes wrong quickly (and you trust him not to mis-handle anything) then I don't think any concerns...

Wolfshadw

Titan
There's always a chance that parts are going to fail be they three years old or just three days old. You can never tell for certain until it happens. Assuming normal usage, I'd say there's a very good chance that those components would outlast their usefulness and that your friend should not worry. If it helps, maybe offer your friend a warranty period. If anything goes wrong within the next year, you'll help him get it back up and running.

Of course, if he's abusing the system and it breaks down, he's on his own.

-Wolf sends

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
3 years isn't really a big deal. Can something go wrong? Sure, it's possible, but it doesn't seem likely at all. If it hasn't been abused, there's no real reason to worry about it.

The computer my son uses routinely at my house is just over 2 years old.
The computer I use routinely is close to 5 years old.
The computer my son uses routinely at his mother's house is about 7-1/2 years old.

All still work just fine, and both of my son's computers are using the original OEM Dell power supply.

Then again, if it's your friend, and he can trust you to be honest about what you have, and you can agree to refund him if anything goes wrong quickly (and you trust him not to mis-handle anything) then I don't think any concerns over the age of the equipment are a serious issue.

Of course, I would recommend firing it up, running some tests, etc., just to be on the safe side.

Reactions: propigeon
Solution