Is there any harm in running these parts with my setup ?

Barbos4

Prominent
May 8, 2017
So I have a Core 2 Duo E8400 3.0 GHz with a pretty bad video card(Radeon X300SE), and I've been looking forward to upgrading the GPU to a GTX 1050. And upgrading the PSU to a CoolerMaster MasterWatt Lite 500W so it can keep up with the 1050's load. Once I get a better PC (still a long time from now) I would then swap these two parts into a new PC.

I'd like to play some modern games(Rainbow Six/Overwatch) at least minimum settings since I can't get a new PC right now. So my question is: Is there any harm in using the GPU in an old rig with a CPU that will definitely bottleneck it? Will the PSU be affected by the age of the components? The only thing new that I installed was a 2TB HDD and 2 more GB of RAM

I'd like to know if there are any risks if I install the GPU with a decent PSU in an old motherboard.
The motherboard seems to be ok so i'd also like to know if the gtx 1050 fits it and if the PSU power connectors are compatible with that board.

My OS: Windows 10 Home
Motherboard: https://ark.intel.com/products/50383/Intel-Desktop-Board-DQ35MP
GPU: MSI GTX 1050 OC 2GB Mini
PSU: CoolerMaster MasterWatt Lite 500W 80Plus White
RAM: 4GB DDR2 Kingston
Stock cpu cooler

*Only parts I'll be switching: PSU so it provides power for the GPU.
*Would these parts then be able to perform well in an entirely new system ?

Thanks to anyone replying :)

Solution
hi

I dont see any problem if you switch the PSU for the new GPU, what I recommend to you is to upgrade the RAM too to maybe 8gb in total to help with that bottleneck.

th3cl3ric

Reputable
Jan 25, 2015
hi

I dont see any problem if you switch the PSU for the new GPU, what I recommend to you is to upgrade the RAM too to maybe 8gb in total to help with that bottleneck.

Solution

Barbos4

Prominent
May 8, 2017

Thanks for the answer! That might actually be a good idea :)