[SOLVED] Is there any need for the gaming x trio when you already have a cool PC?

BrandonFitzpatricc

Commendable
Jun 23, 2019
I personally think my PC has above average cooling. Not by a lot, but in general. I have the cooler master h500 case, which is one of the best cases for keeping your PC cool in my opinion. It has 2 200MM fans in the front and a single 120MM fan in the back, along with a radiator mounted on top (it doesn’t really interfere with the temperatures of my entire system since it’s mounted on the top. I also have a mesh panel on the front instead of tempered glass to increase airflow. I want to purchase a GPU that I can get the best possible performance out of. Most current GPU’s are in my budget, except for the 2080 ti, 11 GB 1080 ti, and the 2080 super is cutting it a little close. Besides that, I generally care more about performance than price, because I plan on using this GPU for a long time. For example, if the RTX 2070 super is better than the 5700 XT in performance (which is still practically undecided), then I’d rather get the 2070 super, even though the 5700 XT has a better price to performance ratio. Anyway, back to my point, I was thinking of getting the MSI gaming x trio model of the 2070 super. I love the design, it’d pair perfectly with my MSI x570 gaming pro carbon wifi (I kind of have OCD when it comes to pairing a motherboard and GPU from different manufacturers, unless it’s the Founders Edition, or manufactured by EVGA/Sapphire, or any GPU made by a company that doesn’t manufacture motherboards), and I figured that since it has some of the best cooling from any GPU currently on the market, I could overclock it higher than most other RTX 2070 super models. However, I’m not an expert when it comes to overclocking. Since my system is already cool, I feel like I might be able to buy a GPU with less sufficient cooling but more overclocking capabilities. Can someone confirm whether or not this is true? And if so can you suggest any GPU’s for my situation? Or is the gaming x trio my best choice?

Solution
Ray tracing isn’t a huge priority for me. It would be nice to have, but it cripples your FPS way too significantly and probably won’t be worth having any time soon. So I’d say I care more about maxing my FPS with as many games as possible on 1440p. And based on what you’re saying, I’m guessing the 5700 XT does that better?

The rx 5700xt when using soft power play tables should get same performance as 2080 (and for the price as the rtx 2070 super gaming trio u can water cool the rx5700xt which would help) and according to benchmarks its within 5 fps of 2080 but ris is not supported foe dx11 yet unless u use reshade im guessin with that performance from a 2080 with ris you shpuld beable to get 1800p to about 100fps (on normal...

scallumal

Commendable
Sep 6, 2017
Are you looking for raw performance or want rtx? Cuz with the power play mod the rx5700xt can get to rtx 2080 level and ive seen custom cards handle the sppt very nicely and RIS works better if u want higher fps for 4k or 1440p (i went for rx 5700 for RIS because i saw 1800p with gpu scaling and Ris enabled looked almost identical to 4k at 70+fps) but if u want rtx the bigger the fans and heatsink the better your performance so gaming xtrio would be better for oc especially since gpu boost takes advantage of cooling

Reactions: BrandonFitzpatricc

BrandonFitzpatricc

Commendable
Jun 23, 2019
Are you looking for raw performance or want rtx? Cuz with the power play mod the rx5700xt can get to rtx 2080 level and ive seen custom cards handle the sppt very nicely and RIS works better if u want higher fps for 4k or 1440p (i went for rx 5700 for RIS because i saw 1800p with gpu scaling and Ris enabled looked almost identical to 4k at 70+fps) but if u want rtx the bigger the fans and heatsink the better your performance so gaming xtrio would be better for oc especially since gpu boost takes advantage of cooling
Ray tracing isn’t a huge priority for me. It would be nice to have, but it cripples your FPS way too significantly and probably won’t be worth having any time soon. So I’d say I care more about maxing my FPS with as many games as possible on 1440p. And based on what you’re saying, I’m guessing the 5700 XT does that better?

scallumal

Commendable
Sep 6, 2017

The rx 5700xt when using soft power play tables should get same performance as 2080 (and for the price as the rtx 2070 super gaming trio u can water cool the rx5700xt which would help) and according to benchmarks its within 5 fps of 2080 but ris is not supported foe dx11 yet unless u use reshade im guessin with that performance from a 2080 with ris you shpuld beable to get 1800p to about 100fps (on normal triple A titles dont expect it from like deus ex mankind) but farcry 5 hits a cpu bottle neck when playing 1800p with ris at 90fps and its so close to 4k professionals struggle to see differences so if u like the performance numbers wait till the sapphire pulse version comes out only $10 more expensive than blower or get blower and water cool it because research shows 7nm works better the cooler it is plz note that all the numbers given may be a little wrong and varies on ur oc with power play tables plenty of simple guides showing u how to do it and i may have forgotten and details but within +-10fps

Reactions: BrandonFitzpatricc
Solution

BrandonFitzpatricc

Commendable
Jun 23, 2019
The rx 5700xt when using soft power play tables should get same performance as 2080 (and for the price as the rtx 2070 super gaming trio u can water cool the rx5700xt which would help) and according to benchmarks its within 5 fps of 2080 but ris is not supported foe dx11 yet unless u use reshade im guessin with that performance from a 2080 with ris you shpuld beable to get 1800p to about 100fps (on normal triple A titles dont expect it from like deus ex mankind) but farcry 5 hits a cpu bottle neck when playing 1800p with ris at 90fps and its so close to 4k professionals struggle to see differences so if u like the performance numbers wait till the sapphire pulse version comes out only $10 more expensive than blower or get blower and water cool it because research shows 7nm works better the cooler it is plz note that all the numbers given may be a little wrong and varies on ur oc with power play tables plenty of simple guides showing u how to do it and i may have forgotten and details but within +-10fps
I’m still relatively new to PC building so I don’t really trust myself to disassemble and reassemble my GPU for watercooling. I’ll definitely look into the new 5700XT models as they come out. If any of them interest me, I’ll most likely purchase one