[SOLVED] Is there any point in upgrading my cpu from i5 2320 to ryzen 5 2600 ?

Solution
Graphics cards are a minefield for me . Looking at second hand to get a better one but then like buying new.
It's says the 1660 ti = 5.5 teraflops
Rx 590 8gb = 7.1 teraflops
My current gtx 1050ti = 2.1 teraflops .
I've heard alot of people going on about teraflops since the new Xbox x , so is this what matters the most ?

Honestly if you're looking to get a used card then you have tons of options, what are you looking to spend on one? Also, Terflops are more important if your actually using the cards for computation, but even then it's not always the most important metric. Toms has a good graphics card hierarchy chart with a relative performance numbers next to each card, and guru3d has a time spy score chart with lots of...

malibu200786

Commendable
May 2, 2018
I've already done it but now thinking what was the point other than just because I wanted to do it lol .
Ive got Gamemax black hole case
MSI b450m mortar max
Ryzen 5 2600
Corsair 16gb vegance lpx
Just wanted to run games better but still on gtx 1050ti
Looking at getting a 580 or 590 8gb graphics card .

Reactions: artk2219

iiSlashr

Reputable
Mar 10, 2019
I've already done it but now thinking what was the point other than just because I wanted to do it lol .
Ive got Gamemax black hole case
MSI b450m mortar max
Ryzen 5 2600
Corsair 16gb vegance lpx
Just wanted to run games better but still on gtx 1050ti
Looking at getting a 580 or 590 8gb graphics card .
It's definitely worth it, that CPU was extremely old. I wouldn't get a 580/590, as that's actually a downgrade from a 1050ti. I'd go for a 5600XT or a 3060Ti if you can find one.

Reactions: malibu200786

artk2219

Distinguished
It's definitely worth it, that CPU was extremely old. I wouldn't get a 580/590, as that's actually a downgrade from a 1050ti. I'd go for a 5600XT or a 3060Ti if you can find one.

In what world is an RX 580 or 590 a downgrade from a 1050 ti? Theyre both twice as fast as that 1050 ti. I agree that if you can, you should go for something around the 5600XT, 5700 (XT), 2060 super, 2070, 2070 Super area. But i also understand thats quite a step up price wise, and those 580's still do the job, and are a welcome step up from his current GPU, also worth looking into is the GTX 1660 (super, TI). As to the question, yes a Ryzen 5 2600 is a huge improvement over your old i5, its got more cores, threads, clockspeed, and a much higher IPC, and more importantly it gets you on a modern platform that actually gives you an upgrade path if you need it in the future. Strictly gaming wise though, you wont realize much of a difference with your current GPU, that needs to change as well.

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gpu-hierarchy,4388.html

Last edited:
Reactions: malibu200786

malibu200786

Commendable
May 2, 2018
Graphics cards are a minefield for me . Looking at second hand to get a better one but then like buying new.
I've heard alot of people going on about teraflops since the new Xbox x , so is this what matters the most ?

They used to be for me too until I found the techpowerup gpu database. Then you can see the raw performance and specs of each card and make up your own mind:
https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/geforce-gtx-1660-ti.c3364
https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/radeon-rx-590.c3322
https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/geforce-gtx-1050-ti.c2885
I usually compare the pixel and texture rates, and memory bandwidth to get an idea. It also has the flops listed so you can use that to compare too if you want.

artk2219

Distinguished

Honestly if you're looking to get a used card then you have tons of options, what are you looking to spend on one? Also, Terflops are more important if your actually using the cards for computation, but even then it's not always the most important metric. Toms has a good graphics card hierarchy chart with a relative performance numbers next to each card, and guru3d has a time spy score chart with lots of different cards in there for comparison as well.

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gpu-hierarchy,4388.html

https://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/zotac_geforce_rtx_3060_ti_twin_edge_oc_review,32.html

Last edited:
Solution
So is the 590 just as good as the 1660 to?
It depends on what you're using it for. Drivers also make a difference but the raw hardware shows that the texture rate on the 590 faster than a 1660, but the memory bandwidth and pixel rates are both lower. To me, this looks like the 590 could be faster in certain applications or at least as fast, but generally the 1660 will be much, much faster since the base pixel rate is almost double.
An RTX580/590 is indeed faster than a GTX1060 (6 GB), much less any f of the GTX1050 variants...
With a slower base pixel rate, I don't know if a 590 is universally faster than a 1060, and 590 is just like an OC 580 as they're otherwise almost the same on every other spec.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador

what you've seen is some nonsense used to try and compare a console to a pc. it is pretty much a meaningless number for a gaming rig. but no matter how often it is said that you can't compare a pc to a console, some folks still inist on trying to do it. i'd suggest wherever you are reading this would be a good place to stop reading abut computers!!!