Question Is there any risks updating hardware via Device Manager?

danny009

Reputable
Apr 11, 2019
Hi again, I'm getting low speeds with my USB connections when I copy or paste a huge file, speeds are high first but then drops down to literally USB 1.1 speed or similar, my motherboard is an old one, Z97 pro gamer from Asus, should I update SATA/AHCI thing via Windows 10's hardware manager or should I look for ASUS website instead? ASUS website usually lists old and new versions as well, should I update in number order or instantly jump to the latest version? This can brick my computer? or somekind corruption with USB ports? I never updated my SATA/AHCI controller thing and literally using it since a decade now, I have "Standard SATA AHCI controller" under ATA/ATAPI,

I wouldn't mind a explanation about this if you have time, thank you,

USAFRet

Titan
What specific devices are you copying to and from?
The high speed at first is probably just the cache. Once that fills up, then the 'performance' drops a lot.

So, specifics count.

And the slowest device in the chain dictates performance.

danny009

Reputable
Apr 11, 2019
What specific devices are you copying to and from?
The high speed at first is probably just the cache. Once that fills up, then the 'performance' drops a lot.

So, specifics count.

And the slowest device in the chain dictates performance.

I copy and paste 7200rpm hdd to each other and sometimes from hdd to my external SSD connected to a 3.0 USB port back in the case, I own a 1TB and a 500GB HDDs, external Samsung T5 SSD size is 500GB,

Driver for T5 is up to date via samsung ssd software portable,