Is there any setting up required for an SSD on windows 8.1?

PC_NOOB_

Reputable
Dec 25, 2014
Im replacing my operating drive with a 500gb Samsung SSD and using the data migration to move all my data across. once thats done, is there anything i need to change in Windows/Norton to preserve the longevity of the drive??

Solution
Changing your the mode of your SATA controller from IDE to AHCI changes the driver for your OS as well, so basically it really doesn't matter if you change it before or after you install the SSD. If you do it before you install the SSD, then the driver would have already been pre-configured for the OS and you'd have nothing left to do regarding this setting when you install the SSD. On the other hand it would be the same if you decide to do it afterwards. Nothing changes either way. :)
Hey there, PC_NOOB_

You should enable AHCI if you are using IDE (here's how to do that: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8-hardware/how-can-i-make-ide-to-ahci-in-windows-8/d2cbad22-6306-4764-984a-cea5e97b8d11). Other than that you should make sure that you have TRIM enabled, this service gets rid of residual data on your SSD and let's it work at its optimum efficiency throughout its entire life. You could also disable hibernation. Here's an article with tips for new SSD users: https://www.maketecheasier.com/12-things-you-must-do-when-running-a-solid-state-drive-in-windows-7/. There you'll find out how to do the stuff I mentioned and some other useful recommendations. Don't be alarmed by the fact that it says Win 7. Those suggestions are still viable for Win 8.1 as well.

Hope that helps. Please let me know if you have any questions.
Boogieman_WD

PC_NOOB_

Reputable
Dec 25, 2014

do i do this before or after i install the SSD?

Changing your the mode of your SATA controller from IDE to AHCI changes the driver for your OS as well, so basically it really doesn't matter if you change it before or after you install the SSD. If you do it before you install the SSD, then the driver would have already been pre-configured for the OS and you'd have nothing left to do regarding this setting when you install the SSD. On the other hand it would be the same if you decide to do it afterwards. Nothing changes either way. :)

Solution