Question Is there any viable way to reduce latency ?

Popikaify

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2017
Im looking for a way to reduce latency but without any trade-offs where people tell you disable this and that and then you end up screwing up something else. I'm mainly playing World of Wacraft.
My latency is around 100ms and I'd like to reduce that if it's possible.

KingLoki

Upstanding
Jul 10, 2024
What speed is your internet running at? You can check by running a speedtest in browser & have the game running in the background.

Or...alternatively, can you connect to a different warcraft server and try it?

KingLoki

Upstanding
Jul 10, 2024
Most times, game latency is server-based. If they offer extra servers to connect to it can improve the latency ms

I have had a latency problem running from my location to South East Asia server. The server latency was unusually high though to normal. I set my vpn to go through singapore server because its in SEAsis and the latency dropped by approx. half.

Did it just start happening or has it been ongoing?

Last edited:
Generally latency is mostly a measure of the distance between you and the server. Unless you have a magic way to exceed the speed of light you can not reduce the latency.

You also don't have some direct fiber between your house and the server location. The path the traffic takes many times is not direct. You can do nothing about that either. In some rare cases a vpn can help but mostly this is something done in asia where not all ISP buy direct access to the most optimum undersea fibers.

For a game like world or warcraft 100 ms is not going to cause you any issues. The servers are designed to send data taking into account the time it takes to get to you. The server will estimate where you character for example will be 100ms in the future and send data to your game based on that.

Also since world of warcraft is not a shooter type game it can tolerate far more than 100ms.

I am not sure why you think it would make any difference to have lower latency. Even in shooter type games the server injects artificial delays so a person that lives very close to the data center does not have a advantage over someone who lives farther away.

lantis3

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2015
Avoid wifi and 5G mobile network if you can

As mentioned above, latency mostly is determined by distance. There is no magic way to reduce latency.

Average latency stats between cities (land line) if you know where the server is

https://wondernetwork.com/pings

you can set your own city or the large city that is close to you

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS