Is there any VM software that just "works"?

gijoe50000

Distinguished
May 27, 2013
I've been trying to set up a vm to run Linux on my W10 Pro machine and it seems that there's a problem with all the vm software that I try.

Windows Hyper-V was painfully slow and laggy, and I just couldn't seem to connect to any devices, additional hdds, usbs etc. I have got the enhanced session setting turned on.

VMWare keeps insisting that I turn off Credential Guard, before it will start a vm, even though I've already done so.

And Virtual Box looks like it won't run anything that's 64bit, I've tried several solutions but it only shows options for 32bit vms.

Can anybody recommend any others, or any solutions to these?

My hardware: 4790k, 16GB memory, gtx 970 and an ssd, and a hdd for storage.
And I have virtualisation and VT-d turned on in the bios.

Solution
VMware is not buggy or slow as hell, it's you. Been using it for a decade now almost and VMware Player 14 runs like a CHAMP on my underpowered A6 notebook. It's your hardware or a combination of your hardware and it's configuration is the problem.

i just made a Lubuntu VM that I love a week or so ago, took 10 minutes tops and runs like a stallion--even on my A6 powered notebook!

gijoe50000

Distinguished
May 27, 2013

No, it's strange. It just shows a list of 32 bit options, Windows, Linux etc. Somebody said to turn on VT-d in the bios but that didn't make any difference.
Hyper-v is the only one that even booted a vm.

USAFRet

Titan
VirtualBox absolutely runs a 64bit guest OS.
9YbkjLx.png

I have the same CPU as yours.

gijoe50000

Distinguished
May 27, 2013
@failboat Not sure what you mean by dedicated or main?
I finally got VMware working by turning off Hyper-v from the command line, even though it was "turned off" and disabled already.
VMWare is a disaster though, it's buggy as hell, keeps freezing, reverting my graphics settings and it's slow as hell.
Virtualbox also now seems to be detecting 64 bit since Hyper-v is totally gone, so I'm assuming it was the same problem for both. But neither of them to know WHY they weren't working. It does seem that Microsoft like to screw around with competitors.
I'm installing Ubuntu in Virtual box at the moment, so I'll see how it goes. If it's as bad as VMWare I'll give Proxmox a go. Failing that I'll just go for dual-booting both OS's, even though I usually end up with a screwed up mbr afterwards.

is the computer you listed one of your spare ones?
tier 1 hypervisors just run with no monitors and access over the network.
graphics is tricky. you need the right driver for any success. for vmware you want to install vmware tools inside the vm.
with KVM a lot of linux distros have the graphics drivers already. ubuntu will run with qxl with only setting the gpu to spice under hardware.

if you are planning on running any full time a 24/7 box is nice. the igpu is enough. no need for a card.
this video is using the novnc which is great, but if you do spice it's much better. everything is done from your main pc on a webpage. you just click console to view the gui. video playback will be choppy and no 3D. it's pretty smooth otherwise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZ0JCL-NR_4

citrix and vmware have the best vdi, but you have to pay the super huge bucks for it.

VMware is not buggy or slow as hell, it's you. Been using it for a decade now almost and VMware Player 14 runs like a CHAMP on my underpowered A6 notebook. It's your hardware or a combination of your hardware and it's configuration is the problem.

i just made a Lubuntu VM that I love a week or so ago, took 10 minutes tops and runs like a stallion--even on my A6 powered notebook!

Solution

TRENDING THREADS