Is there any way to move windows 7 to SSD without formatting?

Lawk Duski

Reputable
Dec 19, 2014
Is there any way to move windows 7 64 bit from a 500GB WD Blue HDD to samsung evo 850 SSD without formatting? like keep all my files and just move it to SSD?
also i bought another WD BLUE HDD with 1TB Storage. how do i partition it? like my current 500GB WD HDD is divided to 4 partitions (C/E/D/F) how do i partition my New 1TB HDD? making 2 or 4 partitions of it.
also a CD comes with the SSD. what is it?
thanks!

Solution
After you install the OS on the SSD (trust me...do it with only the SSD connected)...
Then connect the HDD. You can wipe existing partitions, create new ones...all in Disk Management.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Samsung should offer a cloning/migration tool for a one way transfer to your SSD, and that is probably on the CD. (The 'upgrade' kits came with a USB to SATA cable expressly for this)

Same way you format any drive. If it is RAW when you install it, simply fire up disk management, diskpart, or just right click and select 'format' (If it is RAW it may even tell you that the drive must be formatted before use)

Now, as for actually partitioning it. Do you have any particular reason for doing this? Root level folders on a single drive can work wonders.

USAFRet

Titan
To migrate from the 500GB drive to the SSD, you have to investigate a few things first:
How much used space total is on your current drive?
How large is the SSD?
Does the current install work well? Any issues?

You can't move 'only' the OS. All or nothing.

Lawk Duski

Reputable
Dec 19, 2014

well damn. i was hoping to move the OS only to the SSD and keep the other files in the HDD. i have 400GB in use and my SSD is 120GB
so i guess i need to format right? i connect the SSD and both HDDs via SATA and in the windows install where it asks you where to install i install it in the SSD right? the PC will recognize both HDDs the moment i connect them right?

USAFRet

Titan

Ideally, you install the OS with only the SSD connected.
Reconnect the HDD's later.

And no need to 'format'. The Windows install does all that.

Lawk Duski

Reputable
Dec 19, 2014

i wanna clean my current 500GB HDD from everything.
So after formating my 500GB HDD. i will still have 4 partitions. how do i make the 1TB HDD 2 partitions? each 500GB.
Also any specific softwares to manage partitions like create and delete partitions?

Lawk Duski

Reputable
Dec 19, 2014

where do i access disk management? is it a software?

USAFRet

Titan

It's built into Windows.
Assuming Win 8.1...
WIN +S (this opens the search mechanism)
start typing Disk Management....it will appear over on the right.

Lawk Duski

Reputable
Dec 19, 2014

its windows 7 lol

USAFRet

Titan

OK then...same thing, mostly
Start button
Run
Disk Management

Or from Control Panel

Since this is evidently your first time messing around in there, be careful.

Lawk Duski

Reputable
Dec 19, 2014

All good. thank you so much mate. much appreciated.
my PC is faster than ever!

TRENDING THREADS