Question Is there ANY way to stop auto login?!?!

Wraith_3

Honorable
Jul 28, 2017
I finally installed Windows 10 and I can't find of any way to stop Windows from using auto login aside from making everyone use passwords which I'm not doing. I've Googled it and it seems like the only answer is passwords or a sketchy registry edit. This should be a simple thing to turn on and off. It's like they are going backwards. It's not a big deal, but WTH would you take away the login screens EVERY Windows has used?!

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
I am completely unclear about what you're asking for.

You can create as many local accounts with standard permissions as you wish that do not have passwords, and those will show up in the login screen list like any others. I have never tried doing this with a local account with admin permissions, but I don't skip passwords on accounts at all. If it's on my system, it has a password.

I have never had a full auto-login to desktop occur on a multi-account system and you have to take specific steps (not involving a registry edit) to make this happen on a single-account system:

howtobeironic

Honorable
Jun 16, 2018
I assume you're talking about the login screen you get when you turn the PC on. Usually when you put a password to the account it automatically does give you a login screen, but to force it, hit Win+R, type "netplwiz" (enter), then check "Users must enter a username and password to log onto this computer".

Wraith_3

Honorable
Jul 28, 2017
On every other Windows when you turn the PC on you're presented with a log on screen if you have multiple users. You pick your name and click it and it goes to your desktop. On Windows 10 it just logs on the last user who used the PC. As far as I can tell the only way to stop it is to have everyone use passwords, which I don't want to do. I don't know what MS genius came up with this, but it's a step backwards.

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
Well, it's not what happens on any Windows 10 machine I've used, and I have used several with "mixed users" including Microsoft-account-linked, local with password, local without password.

I always get the login screen, and the last logged in user is presented as the "default to log in" but the others are there. Now, I've never shut down with the "account with no password" as the one that was logged in last. That might be the problem.

A bigger problem is not using passwords and/or PINs.

Wraith_3

Honorable
Jul 28, 2017
I don't need passwords because this is a home pc, not work so I don't care if someone logs into another's desktop. When I log on it automatically loads the desktop of whoever used it last. There's no chance to log in anyone else. You have to manually sign that person out and log into your user name.