[SOLVED] Is there anything i need to keep in mind when buying a UPS?

Flonne

Prominent
Aug 16, 2021
I am thinking of buying a UPS to protect my PC from sudden power surges and more importantly prevent any data loss/corruption as a result of a power outage, since they provide 10-20 minutes of energy when there is a power outage, more than enough to save all my files and shutdown PC.

However, i am not sure if there is something i need to keep in mind while buying or if any (as long as they provide backup in case of power outages) is good.

Edit: I meant UPS (Uninterruptible Power Supply), NOT PSU.

Solution
First things first, the brand. Such as APC or CyberPower < from the best ones.
Don't buy cheap UPS, it's like buying a cheap PSU for your computer while you have an expensive rig. The PSU and the UPS is the heart of everything, if they are cheap, they might fail or even worse, damage your rig and trust me I've heard of that many times...
Check the Wattage, how much it can support, measure your Wattage, how much do you think your computer consumes, are you going to have only your computer?
You probably have Computer/Screen maybe router as well. All this are extras.
I can't say a specific model as I don't know the wattage of your computer, but overall just don't buy a cheap one, not on this one. That's my best advice.

xoutostrela

Honorable
Dec 19, 2017
First things first, the brand. Such as APC or CyberPower < from the best ones.
Don't buy cheap UPS, it's like buying a cheap PSU for your computer while you have an expensive rig. The PSU and the UPS is the heart of everything, if they are cheap, they might fail or even worse, damage your rig and trust me I've heard of that many times...
Check the Wattage, how much it can support, measure your Wattage, how much do you think your computer consumes, are you going to have only your computer?
You probably have Computer/Screen maybe router as well. All this are extras.
I can't say a specific model as I don't know the wattage of your computer, but overall just don't buy a cheap one, not on this one. That's my best advice.

Solution