[SOLVED] Is there anyway to know how many spare sectors my hdd has ?

Mario Italia

Great
Jul 12, 2020
Any software to determine how many spare and remapped sectors as I'm aware that Modern HDDS remap sectors under the rug without windows knowledge ?

Solution
SMART will report the number of reallocated sectors (ie those that have been replaced with spares). However, SATA drives don't usually report the number of available spares, or the number of factory defects. To see these defects you need a tool that can dump the defect lists from the firmware. SAS/SCSI drives often make this information accessible to the user via standard commands.
A program called Hard Disk Sentinel will give you this information.

sentinel-health-png.92031

SMART will report the number of reallocated sectors (ie those that have been replaced with spares). However, SATA drives don't usually report the number of available spares, or the number of factory defects. To see these defects you need a tool that can dump the defect lists from the firmware. SAS/SCSI drives often make this information accessible to the user via standard commands.

Solution

Mario Italia

Great
Jul 12, 2020
Thanks, but how do I do it ? I have a new HD and I will refund if it has remapped many sectors without OS knowladege and the rellocated sectors only become visible after issues with HDD such as Bsod or slow performance...etc

Mario Italia

Great
Jul 12, 2020
What do you mean by factory defects?

Two SMART tools are CrystalDiskInfo and GSmartControl, both free.

All drives have factory defects. These are detected during manufacture and are set aside as "primary defects". There is nothing wrong with that.

SMART reports "grown defects". These are defects that develop during normal use. A brand new HDD should have 0 reallocated sectors and 0 pending or uncorrectable sectors.