Is there no way to use all the features of my monitor?

thediretor

Reputable
Oct 17, 2014
So my monitor has built in speakers. That's one of the reasons I decided to buy it. it only has 2 ports: VGA and DVI-D. The PC I just built has a DisplayPort, DVI-D, DVI-I, and HDMI ports. (All the DVI ports are dual link.) The monitor only came with a VGA cable, so I have to buy something else. I could get a VGA to HDMI converter, but the video quality wont be very good. However, if I use a DVI cable, I won't be able to use the built in speakers. Is there no way to get good video quality, and use the built in speakers?

Solution

That's right.
Any converter won't help you because DVI-D and VGA inputs do not support audio.
If the monitor has only these video inputs, it must have a separate audio jack, either RCA or 3.5mm.
You can connect the output of your sound card or motherboard audio to this audio input.

bignastyid

Titan
Neither vga or dvi carry audio so if it has speakers it probably requires a 3.5mm audio cable(male to male). For the video you can either use a DVI-I to vga adapter(plugged into dvi-i port on the video card) and the vga cable, or buy a DVI cable. The audio cable will plug into the audio port on either the motherboard or sound card depending on your system. The model of the monitor would be helpful to confirm this.

thediretor

Reputable
Oct 17, 2014

Well, I feel stupid. For whatever reason, the 3.55mm jack on the monitor had a separate sticker over it that I hadn't noticed, so I didn't even realize it was there. Just to make sure I don't mess anything up, I'm going to ask another stupid question. All I need is a male to male 3.5mm cable to make this work, correct?

That's right.

Solution