Question Is there such a thing as a wifi USB multiport

SANTELL

Honorable
Jul 2, 2017
Not sure if this is the right category for this question. Say I'm deathly afraid my computer and the attached USB external hard drives were to be stolen. Say a USB multi-port exists that I can plug all these hard drives into, and that I can access the port from wifi the same as them showing up as hard drives on the computer connected directly by USB cables. Say I could put that somewhere a burglar is not likely to look such as under a bed. Does such a thing exist and where could I purchase it? thanks!

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Functionally, you're describing a NAS (network attached storage) setup.

How complex you want to go with that, will depend on what you want to achieve.

At a very, very basic option, you can connect an external HDD via USB to most routers &/or access points...

SANTELL

Honorable
Jul 2, 2017
that's very interesting cuz nobody's gonna steal the router.

Would this work: several external HDD plugged into a multi-port USB hub, then the hub connected to the router via the single USB cable

would all of the drives show up in the computer as if they were all individually connected?

then I could just somehow conceal from view the multiport USB hub and the drives

SANTELL

Honorable
Jul 2, 2017
update

I've been advised to plug a hub into the USB port on my router but it's from AT&T (Arris BGW210-700) and appears not to be suitable for such file sharing. I've been told a couple things about these particular router USB ports A) they're useless except for powering devices and B) they're proprietary ports for connecting direct tv stuff.

I found the item below on amazon and asked if plugging the usb hub into the wall would power all the devices. The only answer I received was someone tried it with just one external hd (I am wanting up to 5) and found it slower than expected

(I don't like providing direct amazon links).

SSK Wireless Hard Drive Adapter WiFi External Drive Router, Add WiFi for Your Hard Drive, Change Normal Storage to Personal Cloud, Wireless Backup, Remote Access, Support Card Reader/HDD/USB

If my printer can be connected by WIFI has someone come up with something that easy for a multi-port USB hub?

also I'm seeing these antenna like things that I don't understand at all. Could I buy five of them and do they attach directly to the external hard drive(s) and turn each device into a wifi transmitter?

You should rethink your storate strategy, and get a real NAS, with internal hard drives, locked somewhere, hard-wired to your router.

Get one of these devices. If you have five external USB drives, $35 wound not break the bank. You will also need good USB powered hub, if these drives don't have their own. And try, see what will happen. Try both wired and wireless. And pay attention to the small print:
Wi-Fi Transmission: Up to 300Mbps( Actual speed is around 4-5M/s depends on the distance and hard drive)