Is there Win 7 start up log?

2ninup

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2014
Hi All,

I have a Win 7 machine that is starting very up very slow. At the welcome screen just before the desktop, it hangs for maybe a minute before going to the desktop and this has a SSD it's booting from with Windows on it. Is there a way to see what driver it's getting stuck on? Maybe a log or something similar. Drivers are updated, BIOS configured the same way it was when it was booting fast.
I have Win 8.1 on it in a dual boot config and that boots in a flash.

Any help is greatly appreciated,

Solution
well you can go to start menu and type msconfig, go to startup and se if there is unneeded process that stats up with windows, then go to services tab and check the box that says "hide microsoft services" then stop the processes you dont want to be started (such as google updater/adobe updater etc) click apply and reboot pc.

vesp3r

Distinguished
well you can go to start menu and type msconfig, go to startup and se if there is unneeded process that stats up with windows, then go to services tab and check the box that says "hide microsoft services" then stop the processes you dont want to be started (such as google updater/adobe updater etc) click apply and reboot pc.

Solution

2ninup

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2014

I have checked services.msc and msconfig plus the HKLM...run and HKCU...run in the registry, there's nothing unusual or hat wasn't there before the problem arose

vesp3r

Distinguished
does your pc only boot slow or it also work slow?
there is also a way to see error/warning log
go here Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Performance Information and Tools\Advanced Tools (just copy->paste it in windows explorer. and open the event log. Usually you can see there if something causes boot delay

2ninup

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2014

Thanks for the reply. It is only on startup, then the machine runs fine. I'll check what you suggested later when I'm at the machine and let you know what I found.

Thanks again

2ninup

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2014
Hi,
I can't find what you mentioned, copy and pasting didn't work either just broght me to System32/control.exe. I'm in Win 7 and I have all the control panel small icons displayed. Would this be under administrative Tools?

BTW the system also takes an equal amount of time to shut down or restart, it hangs just like on startup. It hangs for about 80 seconds, with a clean services.msc and msconfig's startups disabled and services disabled it hangs at "Welcone" for about 60 seconds, same at shutdown? I did a boot logging from the safe mode screen (F8) but it doesn't tell me how long each driver takes or if it hangs on one. I can show that to you if you can make any sense out of it.
Thanks very much for your help, I really appreciate it.