Question Is this a bad psu or what?

May 22, 2024
For the past few weeks my pc has been randomly shutting everything off except the actual pc itself. this includes the monitor, mouse and keyboard. the pc stays running and i have to power it off from the case. this has gotten to the point where it doesnt even make it to the log in screen before it shuts off. by shut off i mean that the display goes back and my m&k get no power.
specs
gpu: gtx 1060
cpu: i7 2600k
ssd: kingston 960tb
psu: corsair vs550
this has sometimes fixed itself by reseating the power cables to my gpu and other parts, but it seems like sometimes leaving the pc off will just fix it for a while. another thing to note is that none of the gpu cpu or ssd, have ever ran bad or slowly or failed at all, going as far back as 2023.
anything i could try to do. it would be greatly appreciated

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Yes that's a bad unit, even if it was brand new. It's the same kind of unit the green labelled CX units from Corsair were/are(since they are still on some shelves out there).

How old is the PSU in your build? You might want to inspect the rest of your motherboard for any blown, swollen or leaking capacitors.

anything i could try to do.
Source(borrow, not buy) a reliably built PSU with at least 550W of power at the entire PC's disposal and see if that alleviates your problem.

Reactions: Vic 40
Apr 11, 2024
You would need to test all components individually. Easiest component to test is the GPU, since you can easily swap the cables to the monitor and connect it to the motherboard instead and disconnect the card from the mainboard. If it's still happening, you know its not the GPU. The other components will be a bit harder though, if you don't have replacement parts for everything.
From my experience however, a PSU fails differently. Usually it burns just through or explodes and you will have a nasty smell of burned plastic.
Freezes like that usually occure with CPU or Motherboard failures. But without testing every component, that's hard to say.
Could maybe also try do a stress-test of the CPU or just look if the temperatures of the CPU are higher than normal.

May 22, 2024
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Yes that's a bad unit, even if it was brand new. It's the same kind of unit the green labelled CX units from Corsair were/are(since they are still on some shelves out there).

How old is the PSU in your build? You might want to inspect the rest of your motherboard for any blown, swollen or leaking capacitors.

anything i could try to do.
Source(borrow, not buy) a reliably built PSU with at least 550W of power at the entire PC's disposal and see if that alleviates your problem.
im not sure as the pc was given to me and i replaced some of the other parts but i would say at least 3,4 years maybe more, i dont have any other psus that i could borrow aswell

May 22, 2024
You would need to test all components individually. Easiest component to test is the GPU, since you can easily swap the cables to the monitor and connect it to the motherboard instead and disconnect the card from the mainboard. If it's still happening, you know its not the GPU. The other components will be a bit harder though, if you don't have replacement parts for everything.
From my experience however, a PSU fails differently. Usually it burns just through or explodes and you will have a nasty smell of burned plastic.
Freezes like that usually occure with CPU or Motherboard failures. But without testing every component, that's hard to say.
Could maybe also try do a stress-test of the CPU or just look if the temperatures of the CPU are higher than normal.
this pc is a bit older and it doesnt have any ports except vga and i have no vga monitors or cables. From when it was working fine (a few days ago) i had no high temps on the cpu or any other part. another thing is i have literally zero replacement parts which is why i asked on this site in the first place.

May 22, 2024
now im really confused. so i made sure that all my power cables were plugged in properly. made sure everything was perfectly fine, it worked for a while. i turn it off and have it plugged in but not on for an hour. come back and it doesnt work. also i figured out an error code ive been getting. it means that there is an bad expansion card or in this case gpu. i then did what was previously mentioned and now i dont know what to do. the gpu is fine but i think it has something to do with psu. after all the only thing i did was make sure all the power cables were in right. but even then it doesnt work sometimes. the gpu, pcie slot and pcie power cable all seem to be fine. the only thing im not fully clear on is the power supply.

is there any kind of thing that happens with psus where they just dont give enough power, or dont work correctly. most of the time this happens when i leave it plugged in while not being used. is this an issue that can happen?