vinootje

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2012
Hey

My friend currently has an Intel Dual core e7500 and an HD5700

He wants to change his CPU and Mobo to the following:
ASUS M5A78L-M LX3
FX 4300 Black edition

Is this a wise choice ? No bottleneck's at all ?

Thanks

vinootje

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2012

he preffers a quad core over an dual core.

Icaraeus

Honorable
Yes, but I'm telling you the Pentium is a very fast dual core CPU and that the good quad core CPUs are up to twice your budget alone. The Pentium even rivals the quad cores in stuff like games as games don't use more than 2 cores except the very very new ones.

The FX 4300 is a very very weak CPU and is very old. The Pentium is from 2014 and won various awards. Lots of people own this Pentium in expensive computers.

The FX 4300 isn't a quad core, it's a dual core. The fastest "8 core" AMD FX CPUs are only equivalent to Intel's mid range quad cores which are the Intel i5s - in fact they're slower.

vinootje

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2012

i dont think this is right ? how a Fx 63000 can be a 3 core.

Icaraeus

Honorable
It's a tri core CPU because AMD CPUs have fake cores called hyper threads. However, hyper threaded is only used in very special tasks and aren't as fast as proper cores. The Intel Pentium is faster than the FX 6300. More cores doesn't mean something is better if the cores are weak in the first place.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
A lot of disinformation in here...

Hyperthreading is an Intel technology not AMD.

FX-4300 does actually have 4 physical cores. 2 Cores per module, each module shares resources (an ALU and cache) so they are not completely independent. FX-4300 can run 4 simultaneous threads. The Pentium in the case can only run 2. FX-6300 has 3 modules for a total of 6 cores, 8000 series has 4 modules for a total of 8 cores.

However, that said, he is right that the Pentium's performance is very good for its price. On top of that the Pentium can be overclocked as high as 4.5Ghz with minimal effort. It also leaves you an upgrade path to faster Intel chips when more money is available.

Hyperthreading on Intel allows a single core to run two threads. Each hyperthread appears to the OS as another core. (Varies by chip and resources, but hyperthreading adds somewhere between 25% and 50% performance on multithreaded tasks)

FX and AM3+ are more or less end of life, so it has dropped off my recommendation list even for budget systems.

TRENDING THREADS