Is this a decent gaming rig by today's standards?

Pakgamer

Honorable
Jan 10, 2013
(First post)

Hello guys, how are you? Awesome forum you got here.

So I'm like 14 years old, living in Pakistan. Where PC gaming outside Counter Strike 1.6 is rare. So being a PC gamer here is really hard but I managed to get a half decent rig in my opinion.

What I need to know is if I can run games like Skyrim and Borderlands 2 at medium settings at 1280 x 1024

CPU: Pentium Dual Core E6700 (3.2 Ghz, I think)

GPU: GTX 260 (I know that GPU really matters but this is the maximum I can go)

PSU: 550 Watt (From cooler master, don't know the exact name of it)

RAM: 4GB

MOBO: Sorry guys, I don't know. See currently my PC is at the shop because there was a virus or something and so I can't check to see right now what motherboard I have. But I know it's from intel.

Also, what can I do to make this better? I will be getting 64-bit OS so I can get more RAM but anything else?

Pakgamer

Honorable
Jan 10, 2013
Okay then how about overclocking the cpu and gpu. might have to get a new psu because of that and upgrade to 64 bit?

im not really into all that eye candy. ill be more than willing to turn down a game to the lowest possible settings for smooth gameplay.

Angry Bellic

Honorable
Dec 13, 2012
As your budget is low i would recommend an Ivy Bridge Intel Core i3 Processor, as games like Grand Theft Auto IV and some other games depend a whole lot on the CPU so getting a new Processor would be nice, also the GTX 260 is decent for gaming though its outdated, if possible and GTX 560 will be more good.

Pakgamer

Honorable
Jan 10, 2013
@sam_p_lay: What area was that? I'm pretty sure it was AF and AA and all that stuff.

I can't even get that processor. The best I can really do is overclock the GPU and CPU. My friend says he has a 600 W which he'll be discarding because it isn't enough for him so he's given it to me. So I'll install that if my PSU can't handle overclocking.

I am also upgrading to 64-bit to get some RAM. Currently I have 4GB of DDR2 RAM from Patriot.

And to top it off, I'll be getting an SSD to replace my old seagate in late 2013.

That's GOT to be enough for gaming at 1280 x 1024

Pakgamer

Honorable
Jan 10, 2013
That should help reduce those annoying load times in Skyrim then. Like I said, if I need to, I'll even go down to 1024 x 728 just so I can play the game with decent FPS on medium.

Also, if I do well in my exams, I might just get a new GPU. I'm thinking 560 Ti. That just about covers everything, doesn't it?

Potential

Honorable
Dec 6, 2012
Definitely get an SSD. I just bought a Samsung 840 pro 128GB for my new rig that I will buy in about 2 weeks. And it honestly improved my current computers performance by %50. It took me about 3 minutes to load a game in league of legends and now it takes about 30 seconds. It also took 3 minutes to go from the victory screen to the lobby in league of legends and now it takes a mere 5 seconds. My start/shutdown speeds increased by 65%. I'm amazed how much an SSD does. It might not be that big of an increase in performance for high end computers because of the high end components those computers already have. But for low end - medium end computers you'll definitely see a pretty big increase with an SSD.

GET ONE! :p

Huge +1 to the 840 Pro recommendation there - those things are incredible. Best consumer SSD money can buy. And the area that slowed down was Washburne Refinery (DLC1). Even when I dropped settings to minimum it was still laggy, so there must have been something unique going on there to drop my framerates. My normal settings were 1920x1080, 4x MSAA and everything max except depth of field and ambient occlusion disabled.

Pakgamer

Honorable
Jan 10, 2013
(Thanks for the feedback guys)

Yeah, I'll take that SSD for sure.

Also, I'll see if I can get a GTX660.

Also, I will be upgrading to the i5 but not anytime soon but with these specs, my computer just went from being low end to medium-highish end. So this will suffice, right?

New specs: i5 (not sure about the model but best bang for buck one)
600 W PSU from Cooler Master used by my friend for half a year but then he upgraded to 1000 W.
SSD 840 Pro seems awesome but I want around 200 GB.

Angry Bellic

Honorable
Dec 13, 2012

I would recommend getting an i5 2500K, a GTX 660 or even a GTX 560 Ti will be enough and also if possible ( as the price of DDR2 RAM's are very high ) get 4 more GB of DDR2 RAM, and you are ready to go. Also, it would greatly help if you could find the Exact-Name/Model of the Mother Board. Also you can't put an i5 2500K on LGA 775 Socket Type Mother Board, so you will have to get a new Mother Board too. A B75, H77, or an Z77 is enough.

Angry Bellic

Honorable
Dec 13, 2012

I would recommend getting an i5 2500K, a GTX 660 or even a GTX 560 Ti will be enough and also if possible ( as the price of DDR2 RAM's are very high ) get 4 more GB of DDR2 RAM, and you are ready to go. Also, it would greatly help if you could find the Exact-Name/Model of the Mother Board. Also you can't put an i5 2500K on LGA 775 Socket Type Mother Board, so you will have to get a new Mother Board too. A B75, H77, or an Z77 is enough. Also if you have a LGA 775 Socket Type Mother Board getting an Q6600 woudl be better than the old Pentium. And it also got 4 Cores.

haider95

Honorable
Dec 31, 2012
^^ WOW bro. He said he's 14 O_O if he could afford an i5 he would get it -.- DDR2 is still fairly new in Pakistan. To OP: Dude, don't stress it haha. You'll run all those games with at least 4x anti aliasing just fine. The GTX260 is still a good card, You let a computer like that go to a shop knowing that a quick re-install of windows would've removed the virus? Not a smart move. I personally know some people who work at computer shops in the Bufferzone area of Karachi and let me just say this.. STAY AWAY lol btw how much did it cost you to build a system like that in Pak? I built one before i moved to Englad for 20k and it was a E5400 with 2GB Ram and a 9800GT card. Coming back to your question.. You can run any game that has been released just fine on those specs (Except for crysis 3. bitch needs a DX11 card to run)

as sunius has pointed out a core 2 quad would bet better fo gaming as it will allow better threading on newer games.
but if you limit the games you play then the e6700 was a beast cpu for its time and will play pretty much anything you throw at it. just dont expect ultra settings on the new titles...

Angry Bellic

Honorable
Dec 13, 2012
To tell you the truth, I have seen videos where GTA IV was maxed out on an GTS 250 (re-branded 8800 GTX+ I guess! ), so just guess the capacity of the GTX 260. And; is there anything called GTX 260 Ti, I didn't find any results when I searched on the Internet.

TRENDING THREADS