Question Is this a fan issue, fan header issue or psu issue?

techprince

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2014
My 7 year old system consists consist of:
AMD FX-6300
Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 Motherboard
Corsair VS550 PSU
Carbide Spec 02 Cabinet
Deepcool UF120 Front Case Fan on SYS_FAN header of motherboard.
Arctic F12 Silent Rear Case Fan directly to Molex.

Last day, my temperatures of both GPU and CPU went higher than expected after a gaming session. So i checked HWINFO and saw my front Case Fan was jumping between millions of rpm erratically. This has not happened till the last day. Today morning, I powered my system and this fan didn't turn on at all. HWINFO showed no fan on SYS_FAN. After a reboot, the fan got detected and turned on. BIOS has only 2 options to turn Smart Control on SYS_FAN on and off. That's about it.

But, why I suspect PSU as a potential issue because a few months ago my rear case fan was stopping in middle as well. This fan would slow down erratically and would eventually turn off.
At that time I changed the Molex adapter but the problem didn't solve. Then I attached it to a different rail and I have not seen it running erratically or turning off since then.

I have not experienced any common signs of PSU failing like Cold Boot issues, BSODs, freezes, restarts, noise, or smoke/burning smell at all.

So what could be the problem? FAN, FAN header or PSU? I have ordered Artic P14 PWM to rule out the fan but need confirmation.

Last edited:

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Corsair VS550 PSU

Low quality PSU, which shouldn't be sold at all. And the fact that your PC even works is a miracle.

Antec P14 PWM

Antec? I didn't know that PSU OEM is in the business of selling consumer fans. :unsure:

--

You have both old and poor hardware, and here, i'd suspect the doorstep of a PSU, you have in there. Fans, usually, are quite reliable, especially when you have Arctic Cooling fan, with solid 6 years of warranty. Deepcool fan isn't as reliable as Arctic fan is, but it isn't much worse either.

Reactions: techprince

techprince

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2014
Low quality PSU, which shouldn't be sold at all. And the fact that your PC even works is a miracle.

Antec? I didn't know that PSU OEM is in the business of selling consumer fans. :unsure:

--

You have both old and poor hardware, and here, i'd suspect the doorstep of a PSU, you have in there. Fans, usually, are quite reliable, especially when you have Arctic Cooling fan, with solid 6 years of warranty. Deepcool fan isn't as reliable as Arctic fan is, but it isn't much worse either.
Fixed :)
I found the problem. Its my fan connector. It has become loose. Its not fitting that firm as it used to.
Anyways, its cooling is not that sufficient so i will be replacing it with Arctic P14.

Thanks!

Reactions: Aeacus

TRENDING THREADS