[SOLVED] Is this a good cooler for i7-3770

4745454b

Titan
Here is a review of the cooler.

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/id-cooling-se-234-argb-cpu-air-cooler/6.html

If you scroll down to the bottom graph, that will show you worst case. Unlike a lot of coolers including the 212x, it was able to prevent any throttling. It did hit 91C however. The best coolers were able to keep temps to 84-85C, which is only ~5C cooler. I don't know all the coolers in the list but that seems impressive to me. 5C warmer under the worst loads. For a ~$40 cooler this should work well.

I'm not sure why you gave the best answer to the only person who replied. What if he's wrong? I'm not saying he is but as a personal pet peeve I'm not sure why you ask a question, then just blindly give the BA to the first/only person who answers. You might want to wait a bit before handing out BAs.

Reactions: Dj0gany
Here is a review of the cooler.

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/id-cooling-se-234-argb-cpu-air-cooler/6.html

If you scroll down to the bottom graph, that will show you worst case. Unlike a lot of coolers including the 212x, it was able to prevent any throttling. It did hit 91C however. The best coolers were able to keep temps to 84-85C, which is only ~5C cooler. I don't know all the coolers in the list but that seems impressive to me. 5C warmer under the worst loads. For a ~$40 cooler this should work well.

I'm not sure why you gave the best answer to the only person who replied. What if he's wrong? I'm not saying he is but as a personal pet peeve I'm not sure why you ask a question, then just blindly give the BA to the first/only person who answers. You might want to wait a bit before handing out BAs.
He started a convo with me saying i should put a "SOVLED" when i think whats the best answer.Also thanks for the reply

I'll tell you for sure, that if you look up a lot of the past ID cooling coolers, they have decent performance once you get them figured out or get a work around in place, but a lot of the reviews show a distinct dislike for their mounting systems and retention hardware for the fans and heatsinks they use. Just not the most user friendly or solid mounting designs. Maybe they've improved things lately, but based on past reviews I've avoided even bothering with their coolers when I know there are other, higher quality models in similar price ranges that don't have those issues.

Doesn't matter how good a heatsink works if you have to, as an extreme example, lay the case on it's side and put a big rock on top of it to get it to stay in place. LOL.

(Yes, I'm exaggerating. But you get the idea.)

One question for all of you.Since i have a raidmax neon rgb case which has 3 120mm rgb fans at the front,can i use 1 of them as a cpu cooler.I want to do that since i found a 20$ (no shipping price,just cooler and paste) deal for a SCYTHE MUGEN+unused thermal paste which is a amazing cooling option for i7-3770,and when i calculate the whole price that i would have to pay for the ID-cooler it is around 100$ (cooler+shipping).Both of the coolers (scythe mugen and my case fan) are 120mm,so i know it can at least fit on the heatsink.Im only worried that the RPM on my case cooler is much lower than the MUGEN one.Let me know what u think.

-Also if i went for the switch i would use mugen fan as a case fan.
-Im only considering replacing the mugen cooler for the case fan since the case fan has rgb,also thats the reason i wanted the id one.

No, you don't want to use ANY fans that came with ANY Raidmax case on your CPU cooler. They are not going to be good fans and almost certainly won't have an acceptable static pressure rating for using on a heatsink or radiator. Raidmax is not known for including high quality fans or other components with it's cases and it's power supplies are 99.99% purely garbage.

You use the fan on the Mugen cooler WITH the Mugen cooler. It will be a much higher quality fan than anything that came with your Raidmax case and will have much better performance specs, which is where you want it, ON the heatsink. If you want to put shiny lights at the top of your list of priorities, then get a disco ball.

No, you don't want to use ANY fans that came with ANY Raidmax case on your CPU cooler. They are not going to be good fans and almost certainly won't have an acceptable static pressure rating for using on a heatsink or radiator. Raidmax is not known for including high quality fans or other components with it's cases and it's power supplies are 99.99% purely garbage.

You use the fan on the Mugen cooler WITH the Mugen cooler. It will be a much higher quality fan than anything that came with your Raidmax case and will have much better performance specs, which is where you want it, ON the heatsink. If you want to put shiny lights at the top of your list of priorities, then get a disco ball.
ahahahahah,thanks.I was planning on buying some rgb strippes to put in my case anyway.Also is there a shortet rgb strip than like 5m,since in my city the shortest one is 3m and its low quality one.The quality ones are for rooms and not really for a case.If you have the time can you find me one in Aliexpress.com or something like amazon,ebay with FREE shipping.I dont mind paying 5$-10$ for shipping,i just would like it that the shipping isnt more expensive than the strip

Last edited:
The only RGB I deal with are the ones that come from the big name brands like NZXT, Corsair, etc., that come with the LED strips and controller in a single package like the Hue+ and Hue2. And of course, there are a variety of RGB addressable and non-addressable fans and light strips that are compatible with the various onboard motherboard RGB controllers. I haven't dealt with any of the chinese offbrand RGB products and I never buy anything from Aliexpress so I doubt I could be much help to you in that regard.

The only RGB I deal with are the ones that come from the big name brands like NZXT, Corsair, etc., that come with the LED strips and controller in a single package like the Hue+ and Hue2. And of course, there are a variety of RGB addressable and non-addressable fans and light strips that are compatible with the various onboard motherboard RGB controllers. I haven't dealt with any of the chinese offbrand RGB products and I never buy anything from Aliexpress so I doubt I could be much help to you in that regard.
okay i think i know what you meant.I should buy only from trusted brands,not used,not "Chinese" or anything unlicensed,and not from Aliexpress.Btw i ordered some 80mm fan for the rear of my case for 1$ from Aliexpress and it turned out great.It even came with the package,mounting holes and a manual xD.It think its all in the seller and what he offers and if he is well reviewed or not.Thanks for the replies,stay safe :)

okay i think i know what you meant.I should buy only from trusted brands,not used,not "Chinese" or anything unlicensed,and not from Aliexpress.Btw i ordered some 80mm fan for the rear of my case for 1$ from Aliexpress and it turned out great.It even came with the package,mounting holes and a manual xD.It think its all in the seller and what he offers and if he is well reviewed or not.Thanks for the replies,stay safe :)
Thing with sites like AliExpress or eBay is that they can be hit or miss. If you are lucky, you land up on a good seller, else well you know the reality as being found on innumerable grievance forums all over the web.

Thing with sites like AliExpress or eBay is that they can be hit or miss. If you are lucky, you land up on a good seller, else well you know the reality as being found on innumerable grievance forums all over the web.
Yeah thats the unfortunate side of it :( .
I found one for 30€ in my local online shop and the seller has like 2500 likes and 0 dislikes which is amazing and it shows he is serious about his work.I was qiute sad when i saw my case supports the maximum hight of the cooler which is 145mm.I would have gone for something like scythe mugen or something like that,but this be quiet! has well reviews of cooling even more powerful i7's like the 6700k.Thanks for the reply :)

Yeah thats the unfortunate side of it :( .
I found one for 30€ in my local online shop and the seller has like 2500 likes and 0 dislikes which is amazing and it shows he is serious about his work.I was qiute sad when i saw my case supports the maximum hight of the cooler which is 145mm.I would have gone for something like scythe mugen or something like that,but this be quiet! has well reviews of cooling even more powerful i7's like the 6700k.Thanks for the reply :)
Which cooler is this again?