Is this a good overclock. And have i won the silicon lottery?

Pcenthusiast16

Commendable
Mar 27, 2016
Ive been overclocking my ryzen 5 1600. So far i have reached 3.6 ghz, no adjustments to voltage whatsoever. Ive been doing a stress test for about half an hour and temps havent risen beyond 62 degrees celsius with the ambient temp being 25 degrees celsius. Im using the stock cooler.

Solution

just opening some windows and/or running games or something to stimulate full load will not work. Prime 95 and the like are meant to test for CPU instabilities, by 'really' loading your CPU. Thus you get higher temps. Your full load temps seem low. Which makes me think that when your CPU is actually at fulload, the temps will be higher than your reporting. If prime crashes on your new setting, you know your CPU/OC is unstable. Then you adjust CPU voltage etc to get it stable so it doesn't crash. That's the basics of OC'ing...
it's a moderate OC. Decent jump of 400mhz for all core base. It can go higher. All the way up to about 3.9-4/4.1.
Without any increase in voltage is good. At least you have a bit more headroom to push it higher if you need it. Make sure you have a good cooler though if you do wanna go higher. Those temps will increase rapidly once you start to apply more voltage, which you will need to do to get any further. You don't want to go above 80c for max load for 24/7 OC.

your're not right there. a 400mhz OC without any voltage increase, with still low temps, is a good start. The turbo on the Ryzen 1600 is 3.6, but that's on 2 cores only. Are you telling me that having 6 cores running at 3.6 is hardly an OC? or is worse than 2 cores at 3.6 (stock)?

It's still not much of an overclock at all.

let it run for another while and see how it goes. getting 3.8 is good. i've had my 1600x at 3.9 and only had to give the voltage one bump past 3.85. Seems like you have a little headroom. What stress testing are you doing. At full load I would have expected higher temps than you are getting. Not by much though.
run prime 95 on small fft's to stress only the CPU. report back with temps from that.

not helpful.....

Pcenthusiast16

Commendable
Mar 27, 2016
Just a quick question, after turning down the OC from 3.9 to 3.8 im getting crazy spikes in temperature, during stress tests at this frequency the temp wouldnt go above 63 but now ive seen some spikes go up to 68/66 degrees celsius however the average is about 54 degrees celsius during games

its pretty normal. stressing with prime will give you a true reflection of temps at max load. run it and see what temps you get back. If your using some generic 'burn in' software, your not gonna get a good idea of where your temps are. You can use Prime95, AIDA, IBT for CPU testing. All of these will put a full load on your CPU.

Pcenthusiast16

Commendable
Mar 27, 2016
But if task manager is reporting 100% utilization the. Isnt that enoguh indication that the stress test is actually doing its 'job' i know i must be infuriating but i dont really understand the difference

TerafloppinDatP

Prominent
Jun 11, 2017

I want to say that's very good. But did you just leave voltage on auto? Are you monitoring it? My first go at OCing my 1600 I kept raising the clock rate but leaving it on auto. It was shooting up to 1.45v on its own, which is more than just overkill. I've settled on a manual 1.325v, which is what my 1600 needs to be stable at 3.8. Incidentally, I can't get it to go any higher than that, even with additional voltage, but that's not the subject of your post.

just opening some windows and/or running games or something to stimulate full load will not work. Prime 95 and the like are meant to test for CPU instabilities, by 'really' loading your CPU. Thus you get higher temps. Your full load temps seem low. Which makes me think that when your CPU is actually at fulload, the temps will be higher than your reporting. If prime crashes on your new setting, you know your CPU/OC is unstable. Then you adjust CPU voltage etc to get it stable so it doesn't crash. That's the basics of OC'ing.

The point being, the temps your reporting may not be indicative of your maxed out temps. It's important to know that, so you can decide how far to push the CPU in future OC attempts.

Solution