Is this a good power supply?

chrisballer3

Reputable
Mar 1, 2014
I purchased a computer from cyberpowerpc, and the power supply i have chosen is a standard 80 plus certified power supply-600 watts. Is this a good power supply? According to cyberpower, my system needs 500 watts and i have chosen 600 watts. Is this power supply good for future GPU/CPU upgrades? I will always run 1 graphics card so did i make the right choice? Thank you :)

*People told me that this power supply is not name branded which makes it bad. Is this true? Some people have said that their systems have had problems with this power supply while others have been using their computers for years and the power supply has been fine. I contacted somebody at cyberpower who told me "the power supply should be fine, if it isnt, we will free upgrade your PSU to more watts". So i guess im stuck with this PSU, should i be worried?

Ranfty

Honorable
Jan 17, 2014
None name brands (Ones from china for under £20) tend to fail.

They are made with very cheap components.

You are best of going with a brand like corsair or seasonic. A cheap PSU can even cause damage to other components in your build.

STACKS ON DECK

Distinguished
these kind of PSUs are not for gaming . . low quality capacitors and weak 12v rail ... doesn't provide even 70% of the mentioned wattage . . so don't waste on it if you are a gamer . . go for good reviewed brands like corsair . xfx . seasonic .

AgentTran

Honorable
Jan 21, 2014
Well even though it is 80+ certified, it may not be a good Power Supply.
When mentioned that the guy at cyberpower pc would upgrade the wattage if it wasn't good enough, that simply doesn't make any sense.

Your computer only pulls what it needs.
If you put a 1500W 80+ Platinum PSU in a computer with an i5 4670k and a gtx 780, it probably won't even use half of what is avaliable.

You shouldn't be that scared, because you're stuck with it. It is 80+ certified anyways, so it should be better than ones that aren't.
Just the thing is, it won't last for very long.

chrisballer3

Reputable
Mar 1, 2014

Im going to try to call cyberpower tomorrow, and if they allow me to make the PSU change, will a 600 Watt corsair be alot better?

AgentTran

Honorable
Jan 21, 2014

Give them a specific list of PSU's you would want, or if they do give you one do your research first before you have them send it to you.

If you want them to replace something for you, ask for atleast an 80+ Bronze Antec/XFX/Seasonic PSU.
Because I think if you ask them just for a "600w Corsair PSU", they'll set you up with a CX600, which is alright but not very high quality. It's a starter PSU basically.

Refer to this list when searching for PSU's, anything above tier 2b is excellent.
http://www.eggxpert.com/forums/thread/323050.aspx

You might want to ask for a modular/semi modular PSU too.

chrisballer3

Reputable
Mar 1, 2014

Do you think they will make me delete my entire order? Or do you think theres a simple way to change the PSU without cancelling the order? Im sure they wont change it for free.

AgentTran

Honorable
Jan 21, 2014

Did you pay for the whole order yet?

chrisballer3

Reputable
Mar 1, 2014

I placed the order friday, and when i track my # that they gave me, it says " Order recieved". Apparently they havent began production. Yes i fully paid for it already.

chrisballer3

Reputable
Mar 1, 2014

hows this 650 Watts - Thermaltake SMART Series SP-650PCBUS 80 PLUS