[SOLVED] is this a good setup? Are there any known compatibility issues?

Solution
Looks good but the power supply is completely overkill for this. You should be fine with a 450W unit, or if you want to give your friend better upgradeability, a 550W unit. Also an RX590 is not worth it at this price.

jessecarturan

Commendable
Jan 12, 2019
Looks good but the power supply is completely overkill for this. You should be fine with a 450W unit, or if you want to give your friend better upgradeability, a 550W unit. Also an RX590 is not worth it at this price.

ok, I'll see if I can downgrade the power supply though I need it to have an extra 4 pin connector for the motherboard but that should be fine. what would be a better AMD alternative for the graphics card?

ok, I'll see if I can downgrade the power supply though I need it to have an extra 4 pin connector for the motherboard but that should be fine. what would be a better AMD alternative for the graphics card?
The motherboard has 8+4 pin power for the cpu but really 8 pin power is more than enough for the cpu, so you don't actually have to plug in the extra 4 pins. For a graphics card, there isnt much else for amd at this price point, so I would advise going nvidia and getting a 1660 super, or paying more to get a Radeon RX 5700.

jessecarturan

Commendable
Jan 12, 2019
The motherboard has 8+4 pin power for the cpu but really 8 pin power is more than enough for the cpu, so you don't actually have to plug in the extra 4 pins. For a graphics card, there isnt much else for amd at this price point, so I would advise going nvidia and getting a 1660 super, or paying more to get a Radeon RX 5700.

ok, so I have been told that I don't need the extra 4 pin connector but I have also heard you do need it. now I agree with you I prob don't need it but after all its better to be safe than sorry. in the end I have been able to downgrade to a 750 watt with the extra 4 pins but that's all I can do. as for the GPU I was originally gonna go with a 1660 super but I decided to switch to AMD for the monitor that has free sync. it's just a shame there isn't an AMD graphics card that is between the pricepoint of 300 and 600 lol. thanks anyway though! Actually do you think the 1660 super would be worth the lack of free sync?

ok, so I have been told that I don't need the extra 4 pin connector but I have also heard you do need it. now I agree with you I prob don't need it but after all its better to be safe than sorry. in the end I have been able to downgrade to a 750 watt with the extra 4 pins but that's all I can do. as for the GPU I was originally gonna go with a 1660 super but I decided to switch to AMD for the monitor that has free sync. it's just a shame there isn't an AMD graphics card that is between the pricepoint of 300 and 600 lol. thanks anyway though! Actually do you think the 1660 super would be worth the lack of free sync?
Most freesync monitors will work with G-sync.