Is this a good upgrade for moderate gaming?

Euron

Reputable
Aug 2, 2015
Hi. I am looking to buy this PC from a friend. Its old but I don't want to spend too much on the latest specs. I just want something to run games like Rome 2 Total War, Company of Heroes and the likes. How will this configuration fare?

Intel® Core™ i7-860 Lynnfield Processor 45nm Technology (8M Cache, 2.80 GHz)
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650 Ti
Thermaltake 450W Power Supply
GIGABYTE GA-H55M-USB3 MoBo
1TB Internal HDD from Samsung
SPACE ATX THERMAL CASING 703 (One with the humongous cooling fan)
Silicon Power 4GB RAM DDR3

Thanks!

Solution
I really don't agree with the posts above about that CPU. I'm on my phone so posting links is super fiddly, but google the Tom's CPU hierarchy, you'll find that CPU on the third tier I believe. Its equivalent to some modern fx chips for gaming which, while hardly premium, are pretty capable for moderate gaming.

The CPU is within about 20% of a 2500k (at stock), which is still a fantastic gaming CPU. Plus you can overclock it (with a better psu), you can usually get in the high 3Ghz, towards 4Ghz on those chips, with decent cooling and power of course.

For what it's worth I'm on the slightly inferior i5-750, OC'd to 3.9Ghz with a 7950 (=r9 280) @ 1170Mhz. It runs solid. I just finished witcher 3 on reasonable settings with 40-60fps...

vlxedits

Honorable
Aug 1, 2013
The i7 is 6 years old, wont fare well with modern day complex tasks. The 650ti but can still hold its on on fairly newer games ( https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=650ti ) but the 860 will definitely hold it back.

Unless you're getting an insanely good deal, wouldnt recommend. As stated before, the cpu will bottleneck the gpu, and the motherboard is of an old socket so if you were planning on upgrading your computer in the future you would have to take apart the whole computer to install a new one which is compatible with modern-day processors.

I really don't agree with the posts above about that CPU. I'm on my phone so posting links is super fiddly, but google the Tom's CPU hierarchy, you'll find that CPU on the third tier I believe. Its equivalent to some modern fx chips for gaming which, while hardly premium, are pretty capable for moderate gaming.

The CPU is within about 20% of a 2500k (at stock), which is still a fantastic gaming CPU. Plus you can overclock it (with a better psu), you can usually get in the high 3Ghz, towards 4Ghz on those chips, with decent cooling and power of course.

For what it's worth I'm on the slightly inferior i5-750, OC'd to 3.9Ghz with a 7950 (=r9 280) @ 1170Mhz. It runs solid. I just finished witcher 3 on reasonable settings with 40-60fps throughout (1200p), graphics card running 95-100%, so no CPU bottleneck. There's not a game I can't play on that CPU.

For sure it's mid range, but that entry level and several year old 650ti will be a MUCH bigger issue for gaming than an i7-860. On that card the CPU shouldn't hold you back at all.

As long as you're not paying too much money, that's be a decent way to test out pc gaming with a small investment.

Solution

Euron

Reputable
Aug 2, 2015
Thanks a lot for your opinions guys. I did some research and was beginning to get a little worried regarding the age of the motherboard and processor. I was thinking of upgrading to a better GPU and adding more RAM. But now I'm not sure how long the mobo and processor would hold up? I have offered around $200 though I'm starting to feel its not worth that much. I think I'll withdraw my offer to purchase this machine.