[SOLVED] Is this a normal start-up POST beep sound? It's so high-pitched...

littlecupcake

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2011
Here's the video here - make sure you've enabled the sound at the bottom right corner because by default it will be muted: View: https://imgur.com/a/uqiaHFj

I just built this machine and it seems to work just fine, although I haven't yet been able to use it for an extended period of time. After that sound, it boots up normally. Did a bunch of benchmark tests on the new build, which you can read here.

Motherboard is Asus Rog Strix B450-F. Worth noting the motherboard nor my case even came with a speaker - I yanked it out of my old PC and put it in the new build. I've never heard such a high-pitched start-up beep. That's certainly not a sound my old build made, at POST or otherwise.

Is this high-pitched beep normal or is there a problem?

Solution
For some reason, newer motherboards most often beep in this higher-pitched fashion. It seems to be a design trend, and truth be told, it doesn't really bother me. To each his own, of course.

Nonetheless, I'd be surprised if there was any easy, practical way to change the pitch. However, there should most certainly be a way to turn off the beep. If all else fails, remove the speaker.

racecar56

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2010
For some reason, newer motherboards most often beep in this higher-pitched fashion. It seems to be a design trend, and truth be told, it doesn't really bother me. To each his own, of course.

Nonetheless, I'd be surprised if there was any easy, practical way to change the pitch. However, there should most certainly be a way to turn off the beep. If all else fails, remove the speaker.

Solution

littlecupcake

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2011

Ah, well if other boards sound this way, then I will just accept it as normal. I've never heard a POST beep like this, so I just had to be sure. Maybe that's why they don't provide a stock speaker - they know it's an unpleasant sound, lol. Appreciate your response, thanks!

Reactions: racecar56