Is this a safe temp for my GPU to be running at?

H4X0R46

Honorable
Sep 25, 2016
Hello! I just have a quick question about my GPU. It's an XFX GTR RX 480 8GB Black Edition. I just bought The Witcher 3 and was playing at full graphics, but noticed that it was running at 89C - 90C! The side of my PC feels hot to the touch. Is this a safe temperature for this card to be running at while this game is running? What's a dangerous threshold where I should start to worry? Thanks!

amigafan

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2011
Cards with non-reference cooler design (such as you have) shouldn't normally get that hot (when not overclocked by user), try to compare with reviews, for example: http://www.eteknix.com/xfx-rx-480-gtr-black-edition-graphics-card-review/13/

Make sure your case has good airflow; try to blow out the dust, make sure there is nothing covering the ventilation (not only internal cables but also that your case is not walled off where you keep it so that it restricts the airflow) and install additional case fan (just one 120 mm or 140 mm fan at the back could be sufficient).

The xfx has one of the best coolers around .
You honestly shouldn't be seeing much above 70c from what I've seen.

Those kind of temps point to poor general case cooling.

What's your case / fan layout ??
What are your ambient temps ??

Seen reports of that card being able to run a 100% furmark test for sustained periods at less than 65c with the fans on 100%.

H4X0R46

Honorable
Sep 25, 2016
It's an iBuyPower Gamer WA563R7 that I been upgrading. Little by little I'm building it up.

Here's a link to it: https://goo.gl/NTj6z1

It has one fan in the front and one in the back, probably not great fans. There's 120mm cutouts on the top inside of the case for more fans and I'm thinking of adding some fans to it. Not sure how much that would help!

As for temps, my GPU is usually at 50 ish idle, 80 when running most games on ultra, and The Witcher 3 caught me by surprise with 89!