Question Is this a software problem?

May 13, 2020
I bought the HP Omen 870-224 prebuilt a few years back and thought it was time for an upgrade. I stripped everything inside and upgraded it(CPU, GPU, RAM)and it went pretty smooth. The only issues I have are I get a 90d error after i turn my pc off and on(it goes away by itself and boots up normal). Then my PC beeps 4 long times and 2 short and runs as normal. While PC is on I have no issues and it was runs smooth. It’s just these two errors on the startup. Can I fix this?

May 13, 2020
90D hits as a temp error in a search. Did you also upgrade cooling?

Beep codes can be dependent on the motherboard. What is in the machine now?

I have seen a similar issue on an HP like this caused by a power supply issue.
the motherboard is a Odense-2k. I have not upgraded cooling, but the PC is never hot while playing games. I also just purchased a new PSU and it should be here tomorrow.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
This page:

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c05355651

shows the relevant upgrade info and such, but I am unable to find those specific beep codes. In my experience it's a power issue code. Maybe check event viewer for '41'?
If you upgraded to one of the supported CPU but didn't upgrade the cooler you should probably check temps inside Windows to see where that's at. I am guessing that you properly cleaned and prepp'ed the incoming cpu, the cooler, re-applied paste and all that?

Pre built are typically designed around the components they have put in and/or available from the factory as an upgrade. In some cases the PSU will be rated for the highest of those options but not always. If you went outside those parameters the stock unit may not be up to task.

It may be helpful to mention what you had exactly and what it is now.

May 13, 2020
This page:

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c05355651

shows the relevant upgrade info and such, but I am unable to find those specific beep codes. In my experience it's a power issue code. Maybe check event viewer for '41'?
If you upgraded to one of the supported CPU but didn't upgrade the cooler you should probably check temps inside Windows to see where that's at. I am guessing that you properly cleaned and prepp'ed the incoming cpu, the cooler, re-applied paste and all that?

Pre built are typically designed around the components they have put in and/or available from the factory as an upgrade. In some cases the PSU will be rated for the highest of those options but not always. If you went outside those parameters the stock unit may not be up to task.

It may be helpful to mention what you had exactly and what it is now.
It was a 500W power supply and I am upgrading to 650W. I also had a I5 7400 and upgraded to I7-7700k. My GPU was a 1060 3gb and I upgraded to an Rx5600XT.

May 13, 2020
7700K isn't on that motherboard support list or within it's TDP limit. I would not expect this to last long or is strangling that CPU at best. Consider a new mobo along with this.
When I looked it up on HP website it said that this CPU is supported. I’ll try to look into it more.

May 13, 2020
The K is at the 91W TDP but is not specifically listed under the processor upgrades. Strange that they would specifically mention the one and not the other. Perhaps in reference to confusion about actually OC'ing?
I’m not sure. Honestly the problem isn’t huge it’s just annoying. If I can’t fix it’s whatever but if it can be fixed i’d love to.

May 13, 2020
I bought the HP Omen 870-224 prebuilt a few years back and thought it was time for an upgrade. I stripped everything inside and upgraded it(CPU, GPU, RAM)and it went pretty smooth. The only issues I have are I get a 90d error after i turn my pc off and on(it goes away by itself and boots up normal). Then my PC beeps 4 long times and 2 short and runs as normal. While PC is on I have no issues and it was runs smooth. It’s just these two errors on the startup. Can I fix this?

May 13, 2020
My PC beeps on startup and I get a 90D error....

I bought the HP Omen 870-224 prebuilt a few years back and thought it was time for an upgrade. I stripped everything inside and upgraded it(CPU, GPU, RAM)and it went pretty smooth. The only issues I have are I get a 90d error after i turn my pc off and on(it goes away by itself and boots up normal). Then my PC beeps 4 long times and 2 short and runs as normal. While PC is on I have no issues and it was runs smooth. It’s just these two errors on the startup. I saw somewhere that updating my motherboard BIOS may fix this but it is risky. These errors don’t affect performance, they are just annoying. Do you guys think it’s worth it? This is my exact error by the way. https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c05606404 That is the exact error I get.