Is this a solid gaming rig?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Solution

Right, but remember the OP doesn't want to overclock. And no, it's not a "free" boost either: you have to pay for the unlocked multiplier ($20), an aftermarket cooler ($30 min), a motherboard that supports it ($10 more min for one with a good phase regulator), and then you have to spend the time (lots of hours) into getting all the settings right and ensuring that it's stable.

That's quite an investment for something that will only really shine in synthetic and productivity applications.

@OP: Your build is great, and will perform very well. The only suggestions I have are backing...

aqualipt

Honorable
Jun 15, 2012

I like how you think, and if the main usage of this PC is gaming then you are partially right, renember that overclocking boost gaming performance too

the boost in performance is still very minimal and is only relevant when you reach the point where the cpu is about to be bottlenecked, and at this area, isnt the area of bottlenecks. Its only more relevant when you get into systems involving Crossfire or making the jump from dual to quad in games. when it comes to performance, the architecture runs more supreme and dictates most of the performance gain rather than the clock.

an old example of cpu scaling in BF3 single player

cpu%20scaling.png

the performance jump is seen most in multiplayer once you get the quad core.(in this case, OP has i5-3450) after getting it, overclocking generally increases overall performance on other parts of the computer more than the actual game itself.

mousseng

Honorable
Apr 13, 2012

Right, but remember the OP doesn't want to overclock. And no, it's not a "free" boost either: you have to pay for the unlocked multiplier ($20), an aftermarket cooler ($30 min), a motherboard that supports it ($10 more min for one with a good phase regulator), and then you have to spend the time (lots of hours) into getting all the settings right and ensuring that it's stable.

That's quite an investment for something that will only really shine in synthetic and productivity applications.

@OP: Your build is great, and will perform very well. The only suggestions I have are backing the M12II that you already decided upon, and perhaps trawling through the combo lists on Newegg to see if you can get a better deal on the parts you're looking at. For example, you can get your CPU + mobo in a combo on Newegg for $9 less: right here, brother.

Solution

zachmartin1202

Honorable
Aug 2, 2012

Thank you very much your message was much more straight and to the point than all the others. If I may, what do you mean to back the m12?

mousseng

Honorable
Apr 13, 2012

All I mean is that I'd suggest the M12II as well. It's a great deal even at $60, so with that promo code you can't really beat its balance of quality, efficiency, and affordability.

zachmartin1202

Honorable
Aug 2, 2012

Thanks for the help!