Is this a suitable monitor for gaming?

cjbeech

Reputable
Jun 28, 2015
So I'm looking for a PC monitor I can also hook my Xbox One up to. I generally play FPS games online.

I like the look of the Dell Ultrasharp series, specifically the U2417H/U2417HJ and other similar models. The response times around 6ms to 8ms.

I know they aren't gaming monitors specifically, but how suitable for gaming would they be?

I've seen comments and reviews saying to go for 1 or 2 ms response times. Would 8ms really be a noticeable difference? Or is it one of the later things you look at when upgrading your gaming experience?

Thanks!

Solution
Tftcentral is one of the top monitor review sites.

Monitors and tvs aren't much different. They're still lcd and from the same lcd manufacturers. As with monitors, you need to compare specific models. Ultrasharps are one of the best for color accuracy and gamut but if all you're doing is gaming, it won't matter and you may want to look elsewhere. The AOC I2481FXH is more of a budget display and there are better options for the price. What is your budget?

Higher hz monitors typically have faster response times. It's just part of speeding up the monitor that helps speed up response time too. More than 60 fps on 60hz isn't going to help. If below 60 on a 60hz panel, ghosting would be less noticeable simply because it's not changing...
You'd likely have noticeable ghosting. Some people notice ghosting and are bothered by it. Others just don't notice it.

A PCMag review says ghosting is quite noticeable on the U2417H
https://www.pcmag.com/review/346329/dell-ultrasharp-24-infinityedge-monitor-u2417h

If it is the looks of the Dell which is making you consider spending so much for a 1920x1080 60hz monitor. This AOC I2481FXH should provide a better gaming experience. It is also an IPS panel.
https://www.pcmag.com/review/346329/dell-ultrasharp-24-infinityedge-monitor-u2417h

If this is just for console gaming. Why not just get a TV? You can get a 43 inch 4KTV for $270.
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/westinghouse-43-class-42-5-diag--led-2160p-smart-4k-ultra-hd-tv/5247402.p?skuId=5247402

Response times is largely marketing misinformation. For 60hz you'd be perfectly fine with no ghosting with even 8ms. Also 1ms monitors are usually not 1ms. The stated response times in monitor specs are best possible with terrible overshooting. Other monitor specs are also unregulated and won't translate to the best settings for actual use. Really all you can do is check pro reviews and luckily tftcentral does have one. http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/dell_u2417h.htm#gaming As you can see it's good enough to not have ghosting issues and is class 1 for input lag.

Never heard of that website, but damn they know how to review monitors.

Amazing!

cjbeech

Reputable
Jun 28, 2015

It would be for my laptop also - so definitely wont be getting a 43" TV!

What's the link to the AOC monitor? One you gave links to the dell.

Interesting that you think I'd notice ghosting. What do you think the highest ms response time would be to not notice ghosting?

Weathered

Honorable
Aug 2, 2017

About using a 43 inch 4k tv, what is the difference between using a 4k tv as a gaming monitor vs an actual 4k monitor?

cjbeech

Reputable
Jun 28, 2015

Thanks! Very useful.

And that website is amazing! Definitely made me feel better about gaming on it.

cjbeech

Reputable
Jun 28, 2015

Do you notice more ghosting on higher fps gaming then?

Tftcentral is one of the top monitor review sites.

Monitors and tvs aren't much different. They're still lcd and from the same lcd manufacturers. As with monitors, you need to compare specific models. Ultrasharps are one of the best for color accuracy and gamut but if all you're doing is gaming, it won't matter and you may want to look elsewhere. The AOC I2481FXH is more of a budget display and there are better options for the price. What is your budget?

Higher hz monitors typically have faster response times. It's just part of speeding up the monitor that helps speed up response time too. More than 60 fps on 60hz isn't going to help. If below 60 on a 60hz panel, ghosting would be less noticeable simply because it's not changing frame as often.

Solution