Question Is this a thermal paste issue or a dust issue?

Hemispheres

Commendable
Jul 2, 2021
I have an ASUS TUF Dash F15 FX516PR (2021 3070 Model) And I stopped playing games for 3 months and now that I've started playing again, I'm seeing higher temps in my CPU. In BFV I used to see a steady 80 degrees C maxed out but now it's jumped up to 85 degrees C with occasional spikes to 90. I know ASUS uses crap thermal paste on their lower tier gaming laptops which is why I ask about thermal paste.

Also my laptop wont go into sleep mode when I close the lid and if I leave it to sit for about 30-45 minutes when I come back to it the CPU will be 90 degrees C.
Any clue as to what could be the issue?

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
I used to see a steady 80 degrees C maxed out but now it's jumped up to 85 degrees C with occasional spikes to 90
Likely a combination of both thermal paste AND dust build up. Give the laptop a thorough cleaning and then try again, if you still have issues, make sure you have the laptop in a location that will actually allow it to dissipate heat appropriately. Then perhaps try replacing thermal paste.

Also my laptop wont go into sleep mode when I close the lid and if I leave it to sit for about 30-45 minutes when I come back to it the CPU will be 90 degrees C.
I'd sooner check your power settings for this an ensure it has been set correctly: How to Change Lid Close Action - this is a guide to set it to do nothing, but you will want to check the opposite setting.

Reactions: Hemispheres

Hemispheres

Commendable
Jul 2, 2021
Likely a combination of both thermal paste AND dust build up. Give the laptop a thorough cleaning and then try again, if you still have issues, make sure you have the laptop in a location that will actually allow it to dissipate heat appropriately. Then perhaps try replacing thermal paste.

I'd sooner check your power settings for this an ensure it has been set correctly: How to Change Lid Close Action - this is a guide to set it to do nothing, but you will want to check the opposite setting.

Turns out the laptop does go into sleep mode when the lid is closed. It's set to sleep with lid closed and black screen is present when opening the lid. For whatever reason the laptop gets warmer while sleeping. Only option seems to be to shut it down.

Hemispheres

Commendable
Jul 2, 2021
Well I just played a bit of BFV with the fan settings on two different settings. The first time I had it set on "Performance" mode and the temps reached 82c max, the second time around I had it set on "Turbo" mode and when I minimized the game and went into armory crate it said I my CPU was sitting at 62c which is a huge improvement. The odd part is yesterday I was on Turbo mode and thats when I got the 85c temps. I'll attempt to clean out the laptop with a can of duster and see what happens.

Hemispheres

Commendable
Jul 2, 2021
Found the issue. Apparently Armory Crate's TURBO setting OC's the GPU and CPU, I thought it was all about fan control. That's whats been causing my high temp issues.