[SOLVED] Is this a worthwhile upgrade compared to my old?

darrenz

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2008
Hi guys, I'm looking to build a new computer since I'll be passing my 6-7 year old one down to a family member. I'm currently out of date on whats good on the market and have been reading/watching a ton of videos to get myself up to speed. If you can provide me with any feedback and recommendations, that would be great! I am a professional Video Game Artist that uses 3Ds Max, Photoshop, Zbrush, Substance Painter, and few various game Engines such as Unity and Unreal. Basically a chunk load of rendering. I also do a bit of gaming in my free time and the biggest one I play right now is COD Warzone. I am in the mist of revamping my work station so that means, I'm also looking to get an ultrawide monitor as well. My budget range is $2.5 - 3K CA (without extra peripherals like the monitor).

Here is my current build that I'll be passing on:

Intel Core i7 4770 3.4GHz (4-Core
8 GB RAM
Asus Z87-A Motherboard
GTX 760 2GB
760W Seasonic Platinum PSU
250 SSD

Here is something I put together based on some research on PCpartpicker just to give me an idea:

Intel Core i7-9700 3.6GHz 8-Core
Asus ROG Strix Z390-E Gaming ATX LGA1151
Corsair Vengeance RGB 32 GB RAM
1 TB SSD NVME
RTX 2070 SUPER 8GB
Lian Li Dynamic ATX Full Tower Case
Corsair 750W (80+Golder) PSU
+ CPU cooler and fancy RGB fans.

What do you guys think? Recommendations? Tweaks? Wondering if AMD is worth the switch? I hope this would be a worth while upgrade from my old as I also plan to keep it for a while.

Solution
For highly threaded uses the i9-9900k would be a worthwhile upgrade to that build. A Ryzen 9 is also on par.
Either way it's a big upgrade for the uses specified.
The i9-9900K is kind of pointless now that the i7-10700K is out, offering the same number of cores and threads, and similar or slightly better performance for more than $100 less. For that matter, it would probably make more sense to go with a 6-core, 12-thread i5-10600K rather than an 8-core, 8-thread i7-9700K, since again, it should offer a relatively similar amount of performance for around $100 less, even less than the 9700 (non-K). The only issue at this point might be that availability is very low at the moment, since they just came out and supplies appear to...
For highly threaded uses the i9-9900k would be a worthwhile upgrade to that build. A Ryzen 9 is also on par.
Either way it's a big upgrade for the uses specified.
The i9-9900K is kind of pointless now that the i7-10700K is out, offering the same number of cores and threads, and similar or slightly better performance for more than $100 less. For that matter, it would probably make more sense to go with a 6-core, 12-thread i5-10600K rather than an 8-core, 8-thread i7-9700K, since again, it should offer a relatively similar amount of performance for around $100 less, even less than the 9700 (non-K). The only issue at this point might be that availability is very low at the moment, since they just came out and supplies appear to be extremely low.

Ryzen might be a decent option as well, often offering more multithreaded performance for the money, and lightly-threaded performance that's typically similar or at least pretty close.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS