[SOLVED] Is this ABS prebuilt a safe purchase

May 2, 2021
I have been eyeing parts and the state of prebuilt PCs ever since the shortages kicked in. Naturally, I am abandoning the idea of building my own PC (for lack of experience, and impossible to get parts).

I have been fixated on getting a PC with a Ryzen 5900x processor, and an RTX 3080 GPU - the remaining parts, I'll just have to work out around these components. The only prebuilt I discovered that checks most of my boxes is a recent offering on Newegg.ca:

https://www.newegg.ca/abs-ala238/p/N82E16883360102?Description=rtx%203080&cm_re=rtx_3080-_-83-360-102-_-Product

if the link doesn't redirect, the name is: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC (ABS ALA238)

I want to know if there is any standout issues with the components of this build. The CPU, GPU, and RAM are where I want them to be. The storage I can augment later, but other components such as PSU, motherboard, and cooling, I am totally clueless about.

Am I paying roughly around the right price for these components? Maybe there's something notorious about the ABS brand of PCs that I am not aware of?

Thanks!

Solution
So I just emailed them directly to get that information, and they claim the PSU is the EVGA SuperNOVA G+:
https://www.newegg.com/evga-supernova-850-g1-120-gp-0850-x1-850w/p/N82E16817438133

Are we still on the clear?
There is a review for it, luckily I was able to use Wayback Machine to view it, since the original site is down.
It's clear. Here's the link if you want to view it yourself: https://web.archive.org/web/2019022...6/04/evga-supernova-850-g1-850w-power-supply/
Server may be slow though; some pages wouldn't load without refreshing once or twice.

Oh, and the other thing that bugged me: A 240mm hybrid cooler as top exhaust with a 400w gpu beneath it.
A 240mm hybrid on...

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
It looks ok. [The link worked for me, at least.]
I see 2 possible flags from there is that the exact make and model of the power supply isn't stated.
The RTX 30 series cards are known amongst more PC-literate users to have high transient power spikes. This is not a wattage concern, but an internal component quality one.

May 2, 2021
It looks ok. [The link worked for me, at least.]
I see 2 possible flags from there is that the exact make and model of the power supply isn't stated.
The RTX 30 series cards are known amongst more PC-literate users to have high transient power spikes. This is not a wattage concern, but an internal component quality one.

So I just emailed them directly to get that information, and they claim the PSU is the EVGA SuperNOVA G+:
https://www.newegg.com/evga-supernova-850-g1-120-gp-0850-x1-850w/p/N82E16817438133

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador

There is a review for it, luckily I was able to use Wayback Machine to view it, since the original site is down.
It's clear. Here's the link if you want to view it yourself: https://web.archive.org/web/2019022...6/04/evga-supernova-850-g1-850w-power-supply/
Server may be slow though; some pages wouldn't load without refreshing once or twice.

Oh, and the other thing that bugged me: A 240mm hybrid cooler as top exhaust with a 400w gpu beneath it.
A 240mm hybrid on a 5900X is fine, IF it were possible to just look at the cpu ONLY, but it's not; it has to deal with the heat coming off the gpu too.
If this is going to be running in an air conditioned room, it should be fine. If not, you may end up having to swap the positions of the front fans and the CLC 240 cooler.

Solution
May 2, 2021

A 240mm hybrid on a 5900X is fine, IF it were possible to just look at the cpu ONLY, but it's not; it has to deal with the heat coming off the gpu too.
If this is going to be running in an air conditioned room, it should be fine. If not, you may end up having to swap the positions of the front fans and the CLC 240 cooler.

Thanks for the insight! Considering my situation and how badly I need a PC right now, I am tempted to find excuses to make this product appear like an ok purchase. For the heating situation, to what extent do you think it would be problematic? This is going to be your usual consumer product, running at room temperature. Would it overheat to the extent of reaching maximum temperatures on some parts, notable dips in performance maybe? Or is it just a "nice to have"?

Aside from some gaming, my primary use is productivity tasks (programming/3D rendering), so there will be a lot of times where I am maxing out my CPU usage at least.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Honestly, it looks like a pretty good prebuilt.
For the heating situation, to what extent do you think it would be problematic?
Crash, BSODs... also, the 1TB Intel 670P M.2 NVMe SSD could thermal throttle if installed in the slot above the gpu - that's like the worst place to install one.
There have been a few threads with builds similar to this, involving 240mm hybrids mounted up top + 3080s and 3090s, where users experienced crashes caused by thermals.
Something - usually the VRM - located above the gpu in the PC would overheat and cause the crashing, because the user didn't go big enough on the top mounted hybrid.

Some people like to 'automatically' recommend top mounting hybrid coolers. I know why they do it, but it's not always ideal for some configurations.

There was one user who had:
3900X + Kraken X63(top mounted exhaust)
RTX 3090 Suprim, I believe?
O11 Dynamic, or Dynamic XL? Bottom and side intake fans.
Anyway, there were system crashes they couldn't get to the bottom to because it wasn't believed to be related to thermals.
We were able to help them out with a rather unconventional cooling setup, but it stopped the crashing:
280mm doesn't fit on the side, so it stayed where it was, but the fans were switched to intake.
The 3x 120mm side intake was swapped to exhaust.
Bottom intake stayed as intake.

May 2, 2021
Honestly, it looks like a pretty good prebuilt.

Crash, BSODs... also, the 1TB Intel 670P M.2 NVMe SSD could thermal throttle if installed in the slot above the gpu - that's like the worst place to install one.
There have been a few threads with builds similar to this, involving 240mm hybrids mounted up top + 3080s and 3090s, where users experienced crashes caused by thermals.
Something - usually the VRM - located above the gpu in the PC would overheat and cause the crashing, because the user didn't go big enough on the top mounted hybrid.

Some people like to 'automatically' recommend top mounting hybrid coolers. I know why they do it, but it's not always ideal for some configurations.

There was one user who had:
3900X + Kraken X63(top mounted exhaust)
RTX 3090 Suprim, I believe?
O11 Dynamic, or Dynamic XL? Bottom and side intake fans.
Anyway, there were system crashes they couldn't get to the bottom to because it wasn't believed to be related to thermals.
We were able to help them out with a rather unconventional cooling setup, but it stopped the crashing:
280mm doesn't fit on the side, so it stayed where it was, but the fans were switched to intake.
The 3x 120mm side intake was swapped to exhaust.
Bottom intake stayed as intake.
Gotcha! That should be easy to do if I ever run into such issue. As of the time of this writing, the product does appear to come back in stock occassionally; so just to be safe, I'll consider waiting for other reviews to come in (in case they observe any flaw). If I see nothing within a week, will just risk it and grab it for myself.

Reactions: Phaaze88

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Thermals shouldn't be too much of an issue. There's direct airflow from the intakes to rear exhaust, as long as that rear fan maintains a high cfm (set it's fan curve deliberately at performance mode or better) then there won't be as much heat going to the aio rear fan.

Hardest thing will be actually getting either of those components, it's Out of Stock currently, so no telling when or if you'll have that option, even boutiques are selling out faster than they can receive them.

May 2, 2021
Thermals shouldn't be too much of an issue. There's direct airflow from the intakes to rear exhaust, as long as that rear fan maintains a high cfm (set it's fan curve deliberately at performance mode or better) then there won't be as much heat going to the aio rear fan.

Hardest thing will be actually getting either of those components, it's Out of Stock currently, so no telling when or if you'll have that option, even boutiques are selling out faster than they can receive them.

I sure hope the thermals will be ok. I was looking at another product by the same vendor. It had a very similar build configuration (nearly identical?), with just a different CPU. One of the reviews reported crashes when gaming, so it did keep me on the edge of my toes: https://www.newegg.ca/abs-ala234/p/N82E16883360068

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
What that review didn't say was that there's been multiple reports of 3080's and 3090's crashing in titles, that have zero to do with thermals and everything to do with how the board was designed. Strangely enough, it's only the AIB partner cards and OC models crashing, not the nvidia FE

Jun 12, 2021
A friend just received the exact item that you are talking about, and in the US, it's still hard to find a 5900X unless you live near a micro center. It's an extra special item because if you wanted to build it today, you might spend $200 extra for the CPU and for EVGA FTW3 Ultra, Ebay demands $2500. So why not get a pre-built. Then over time, switch out the parts that you don't like for ones you do or newer ones. But that price, for 12 cores and one of the best video cards money can buy, is impressive.

I got an identical one, except mine has an intel i7-10700kf, 16 GB of RAM at 3200ghz (which is fine for intel), and I was expecting an Asus Dual, or actually i was hoping for a Asus TUF because I have seen how well they run and stay nice and cool. Mine came with a ROG Strix, and I am VERY happy with that. I dont love RGB, it's fine but I don't need it, my computer is under my desk. All 4 case fans came out and 4 noctua's went in. 1700rpm on the front 3 and the commercial 3,000rpm max for the exhaust.

For the 5900X pre-built, I made an excel sheet and priced each thing on Amazon. The Asus camo Mobo is $200. Who knows when anyone will get a 3000 series card, so this is your best bet. $2300 on Amazon. I would easily pay $1000, maybe $1500 for one now, especially that model, ftw. RAM is $220, Windows comes pre installed, ZERO bloatware. I know that the AIO is sketchy, but its EVGA, and it's reviewed extremely well. I would check the tightness and make sure it's solid before turning it on, and maybe it did have issues, but it seems like ABS was trying to pre-OC. Even the mouse and keyboard combined are $140. Not like other prebuilts that come with the $10 throwaway wired mouse and keyboard.

Lots of these ABS are great, not 100% my style, but I can build them out that way, maybe when I get it, maybe over time. But theres a huge giant massive group of people that can't get their hands on a 3080 and are getting restless. If you want one, i'm not endorsing ABS, Dell Alienware and other companies bundle them, but I think it's the only way you're going to be using DLSS and advanced Ray Tracing. Sorry for the length! I think it's an incredible deal.